Portal » Forum   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Portal » Forum 206CC Forums problems Other

Steering clunk when stationary

All your other probs if any.

Steering clunk when stationary

Postby ianP » Wed May 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Hi all,

I did the brakes on our 206cc a few weeks ago and it went straight through its MOT a few days later with no advisories.

This week we've started to notice a clunk from the front end but from what I've found online its not the usual engine mount or drop link clunk!

It happens when steering left and right as the wheels pass the mid-point but only when the car is stationary or moving very slowly on the driveway.

I've inspected all the work I did on the brakes and everything is still tight and as it should be. I also checked the outer CV boots and drop link bushes while I was under the car - no issues as far as I can see and there's no play in the drop links.

The car's driving fine and there's no sign of any clunking once it has crept off the drive so I think the driveshafts are fine. It's almost as though there's something catching on the steering when stationary - it sounds like a dull metallic clunk and it is severe enough to feel it through the floor but not through the steering wheel. However, there's no sign of this issue when driving - in fact, to reliably replicate the problem I have to turn the steering wheel with the car stationary.

Any ideas would be welcome please as this is baffling me.

Ian.
2005 206cc 1.6 HDi FAP, 2014 2008 1.6 e-HDi, 1989 205GTI 1.6
ianP

Re: Steering clunk when stationary

Postby Capncol » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Steering rack mounts??
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.
Capncol

Re: Steering clunk when stationary

Postby ianP » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:22 am

So I took it out for a drive and made vigorous use of the steering and leant on it a bit and the clunk has now disappeared.

I'll keep a close eye on it but no reports of reoccurrence in the last week so I think I’ll just put it down to one of those things.
2005 206cc 1.6 HDi FAP, 2014 2008 1.6 e-HDi, 1989 205GTI 1.6
ianP

Return to Other