Bottom wishbone issues

All your other probs if any.
GazWaz

Bottom wishbone issues

Post by GazWaz »

Afternoon All,

Last week I spent almost a whole day trying to get the bush on the wishbone out of the hub carrier as I was going to change the wheel bearings on both sides.

I'm not a mechanic by an means but I'm pretty clued up or at least I thought I was.

The top bush came out easy with a tap of the hammer so track rod end was easy.

The bottom one though :mad: I spent literately 4 hours trying to pry the blinkin thing off. I managed to get it so the pin on the bush had about 3 mm left but it just wouldn't go. I have a 4ft solid steel bar that wouldn't shift it even after jumping on it.

I had to give up in the end and I'm gutted because I've bought the bearing kits and I've even bought a bearing press for the job although this will also get used on my motorbikes so not a complete waste.

What was I doing wrong? I hammered it, I levered it, I feckin swar at it but it wouldn't budge. I wasn't tight it just seemed that the wishbone wouldn't push down enough to cover the length of the pin on the bush.

A last desperate attempt ended up puncturing the bush rubber so now that needs replacing and I think their not removable so I'll probably have to buy the whole wishbone.

I'm tempted to put it in the garage but I hate being beaten.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated so I can maybe have another bash at it this weekend.

Cheers all

gazza82

Re: Bottom wishbone issues

Post by gazza82 »

Have you disconnected the a/r bar drop link?

I put a long piece of 4 x 2 over the top of the arm so one end is under the floor and the other sticks out of the bumper ... and stamp on it.

BTW fit gti arms not standard or you will be doing them again in a few months!

Try the search option for more help.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz »

Anti Roll Bar? No.. I didn't disconnect it. Have I been really stupid :big-grin: . I'm sure though, the a/r bar isn't connect to the wishbone? is it? If it is I'm going to hit myself with a blunt object.

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz »

So do I need to release the AntiRoll Bar before I can get the wishbone ball joint out?

Cheers all.

Gaz

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I will make it easier as it releases the tension on the strut. Be prepared to buy a new droplink though!!

Also put a small cold chisel or thick screwdriver in the slot on the hub and open it up slightly .. they can grip the pin in the balljoint ... don't hit too hard .. it's cast metal!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz »

Thank you very much gazza82.

I think I'll give it another go before sending it off to the garage.

Cheers

Gaz

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz »

Just to close off this post properly.... I ended up taking the car to my local. It was also due an MOT and it failed on just about everything on the front end.

I now have new wishbones both sides. New springs both sides. New offside side baring. Track rod ends. anti roll bars.

Cost me the grand sum of £800. Had to battle with my conscious as the car only cost us £1300 but it's only got 50k on the clock and is pretty much spotless. Now it virtually has a new front end.

My though process went along the lines of it's a second car and we'd have to buy something else that might also have other expensive issues if we sold it. Also, I love it. It's a bit rattly with the roof up but get that roof down and I love it. So, it's a keeper. Hopefully the back end won't fail as drastically as the front end did.

Cheers all.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

At least it's sorted for 12 months now. Don't beat yourself up over it, enjoy the car. Good luck!
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Slo

Post by Slo »

For future reference and sorry to the op as i've only just seen this but if you put spring compressors on the struts to squash the springs on the strut it will allow you to easily remove the bottom arm as it will lift up, you have to leave the top connected for this to work and space is limited but you only need a little lift to clear the ball joint, works on all peugeots that i've ever had/done :thumbs:
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz »

Thanks for the tip Slo,

I'll remember that next time I do any work on peugeots. To be fair though, the amount of work that needed doing for the MOT I'm glad I let the garage take over. It's all done now and should, hopefully, last the life of the car.

Back end, I'm not so sure about though. It's looking pretty grubby under there although no advisories on anything so I won't touch it until such time. Looks a lot easier than front end though.

We also have a Peugeot 2008. It's just gone through it's first MOT with no issues. Fingers crossed it stays that way for a few years.

I do love the little CC though. Any opportunity to get that roof down.

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the gas struts in the boot lid. It's been heavy since we've had it so I suspected it was only working on one side then one day I went to open the boot and, fek me, that thing is heavy.

£12 off ebay, a simple tutorial from this forum and an hour of my time and all fixed. Very simple job.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers

Gaz

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I tried that spring compressor idea on our hatchback and the spring popped out of the upper seat and was a PITA to get back .. everytime I started to release the clamp it strayed off to the side. Didn't matter which side .. so it was almost a case of releasing the pressure one spanner flat at a time ..