Where's the fuel pump??

All your other probs if any.
Jbon

Where's the fuel pump??

Post by Jbon »

First-time poster, very much an amateur at mechanics but learning as I go.

History - Winter/Spring 2017 problems
- Anti-pollution Fault two days after purchasing the car for my wife for Christmas :santa:
- Changed an injector on advice from local Garage (AP Fault back within a week)
- Garage recommended CPU change (at this point I stopped consulting garage)
- Changed Fuel filter, plugs and used a fuel cleaner (fixed Anti-Pollution Fault)

2018 problems
- Car conking out occasionally when clutch depressed after driving, sometimes not achieving good idle speed when started
- Air filter checked, clean
- Cleaned throttle body (Fault persisted although still infrequent)
- Battery died once during cold weather and needed a jump start
- Changed MAP sensor & recalibrated (Fault got worse, car would not Idle after this and was undrivable)
- Put old MAP sensor back on & recalibrated (Idle speed still not being achieved, undrivable)
- One week later battery dead, jump started (plan on replacing battery but wanted to fix fault first)
- Changed Idle Speed Control Valve (Car Idling perfectly after calibration) :beer:
- AP Fault back :facepalm:

4 days after think I fixed the fault the car died while she was slowing down on a dual carriageway. The battery went dead again so definitely needs changing. Tried to jump start but sounded like no fuel getting to the engine. Checked fuse to Fuel Pump which looked fine. Tow truck guy sprayed engine start into the air intake and the car almost started, he thought it was Fuel pump too.

Is this the fuel pump? Where is the fuel pump as it doesn't seem to be under the rear seat?

Do you think the Anti-pollution fault could have come back due to the fuel pump?
Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Petrol 2001 - 65,000miles
Jaguar XF Sportsbrake 2014 - 62,000miles

IanL

Re: Where's the fuel pump??

Post by IanL »

It's in the fuel tank under the rear seat. You have to drill out the rivets to remove it.

Have you had the fuel pressure tested? That should resolve whether the pump may be at fault.

Jbon

Post by Jbon »

Thank you for your reply, Ian. I haven't checked the fuel pressure but did see this was one way of checking if it's faulty. Since I can't easily get to the pump itself I will try this first as suggested.

Should I need to get to the pump, I don't suppose you know of any guides for the fuel pump removal/access on a CC? Do you access from inside the car by removing the seats, drilling rivets then removing the metal under the seat, or by getting under the car and physically disconnecting and removing the fuel tank itself? Sounds like the latter could be tricky without lifting the car quite high.

IanL

Post by IanL »

I think you remove the rear seat squab, which is fixed by one or two "fixings" at the front bottom, then pull up on the seat squab rear at the middle of each seating position.

Then there should be a cover plate attached by three rivets (I think you can re-attach with short self-tapping screws). Under that is the pump and sender unit, which needs a three legged special tool to remove the locking ring (but Haynes says you can use a screwdriver).

Some of this is inferred from the hatchback, but I don't think it would be different.

It's probably worth mentioning that many spurious faults can be indicated by the fault detection system if the battery is low, so you should either charge it up or replace it before paying much attention to indicated faults.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Pretty sure removing the fuel pump is in the Haynes manual .. will be the same for all 206s
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

al.cxam

Post by al.cxam »

IanL wrote: It's probably worth mentioning that many spurious faults can be indicated by the fault detection system if the battery is low, so you should either charge it up or replace it before paying much attention to indicated faults.
Yes, this is worth paying attention to - a low battery will present all sorts of issues and odd errors...
Put a new battery in and then see where your diagnosis leads!

Jbon

Post by Jbon »

IanL wrote:
It's probably worth mentioning that many spurious faults can be indicated by the fault detection system if the battery is low, so you should either charge it up or replace it before paying much attention to indicated faults.
Thanks I'll stick a new battery in and see where that gets me. It would be fantastic if that caused the fuel pump to spring back into life. Might be wishful thinking though.

Just waiting on a Haynes manual to get delivered so I'll follow that if I need to get to the tank. Good to hear it's accessible from the inside rather than the underneath. On the hatch it looks really easy and the pump is just sitting there under a cover below the rear seat.

Jbon

Post by Jbon »

So anyone interested in this problem here was the result.

Battery replaced and seems to have resolved the air-con light, although I'm still not convinced.

The fuel pump was working perfectly, however, the sensor on the fuel pump was reading 1/4 full when the tank was empty.

So car wouldn't turn due to battery and car wouldn't start because there was no fuel in tank...

I've now broken the Fuel Pump Locking Ring as it was totally fused to the unit. Can't seem to find one for my model so any ideas would be appreciated.

IanL

Post by IanL »

The Service Box says its Part No 1531 20.

Link.