Broken Clutch

All your other probs if any.
petethepond

Broken Clutch

Post by petethepond »

My Wife has just been brought home by the AA as she couldn't get any gears

There is still pressure on the clutch pedal so i assume its hydraulic. ? so I presume the clutch has gone.

Its a 2006 Diesel and done 120k

The engine was running while the AA man towed her home for the steering and brakes to still work and when she turned it off there was a jangling noise ?

If its the clutch how expensive will it be to fit a new one. ?
06 plate 1.6 Diesel Allure HDI

gazza82

Re: Broken Clutch

Post by gazza82 »

The thrust bearings are a very weak point on these cars.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

Jangling noise does not sound like hydraulic issue. Maybe the pressure plate has failed. Assuming it's a straight clutch replacement, the Service Box says 3hr20min - so say £200 plus a clutch kit (between £50 and £150 - say £100), so about £300. If the flywheel has suffered damage, quite a bit more.

petethepond

Post by petethepond »

It was working absolutely fine with no slip or trouble getting gears, then as my wife depressed the clutch she said she herrd a pop and it just stopped working.

I thought it was the clutch cable until the AA man pointed out it was a Hydraulic mechanism.

IanL

Post by IanL »

Probably something out of position on the pressure plate baulking the operating lever - could be the clutch release (throwout) bearing, or a spring - it happens.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Until the gearbox is off you won't really know, but after 120k I'd assume if it was still on the original it will need a complete replacement (cover plate, driven plate, release bearing and input shaft oil seal).

I hope it isn't a dual-mass flywheel system as they are not cheap :hmm:

And there is always the possibility the activating arm has worn and failed. Seen that on a car but not a Peugeot, that's not to say that they don't break on Peugeot's though! :?
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

This is common on cars where people sit at the lights or a junction for extended periods with the clutch pressed down instead of engaging neutral. The release bearing "saws" through the end of the diaphragm fingers.

If you can get it in gear without engine running, this is most likely the case

In addition to the above clutch kit, a new guide sleeve will be required
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

petethepond

Post by petethepond »

Got the 1st chance to look at the car in day light yesterday !

With the engine running if i depress the clutchand it goes into gear ok
but when i let the clutch out there a slight judder as if its trying to pull forward but it feels like the hand brakes on (when its not) ?

I can also get it into gear With the engine running without using the clutch but nothing happens
And I can also get it into gear Without the engine running.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Either the clutch has broken up, or you have a gearbox problem
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

petethepond wrote: I can also get it into gear Without the engine running.
That's normal.
petethepond wrote: I can also get it into gear With the engine running without using the clutch but nothing happens
That's not ...

Could be clutch is jammed in the disengaged position but that could also be a differential/driveshaft problem or internal gearbox .. either way it's probably got to come out!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Don't think there is any "probable" about it.
Definitely got to come out
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

petethepond

Post by petethepond »

We will get it looked at a will post the finding.... :shock:

Thanks Everyone

Have a Great Christmas

petethepond

Post by petethepond »

Well folk's I just reread my post and realised how long its been................wow !

Finally (last couple of weeks) Just getting round to trying to sort out the clutch(in fits and starts) and i have removed all of the bolts i thought i needed to, having had to remove far more ancillary parts to get access that the You-Tube Video intimated, but there seems to be one left ?

Its right beside the aluminium heat shield on what i take is the is the catalytic converter and under the oil exchange unit thing that the oil filter housing is mounted, so how on earth do i get at that one.

Managed to get a 13mm open ended spanner on it only to have it break (one of the jaws fell off.

getting to the point of ringing the scrap man to put "ME" out of my misery.

HELP. :hyper: