Power steering, gone!

All your other probs if any.
McPhersonator

Power steering, gone!

Post by McPhersonator »

I'm gonna do some research for myself, but I figure asking people with more experience than me is a good place to start. My power steering - it's just stopped. There have been moments in the past when steering seemed a bit stiff but it quickly loosened up again. I suppose that was the warning sign I foolishly ignored! Now it's damn-near impossible to adjust the wheels while stationary. I can wrestle it round, but it seems like such an unnatural amount of force, it feels like something will snap.
Also, the engine is making a strange, wooshy kind of noise. Not sure how to describe it... Imagine you're swinging a chain quickly, or using a skipping rope really fast, and it's wooshing through the air - kind of like that. But quieter.

So might this just be a case of topping up the power steering fluid? (Please say yes!) Thanks for any advice!
53 Plate 2.0l Allure - Preston, Lancashire

gazza82

Re: Power steering, gone!

Post by gazza82 »

First ... check if you have any steering fluid!

And for obvious leaks ...
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

McPhersonator

Post by McPhersonator »

I checked, and what did I find? Well, nothing really. Almost a full bottle of new fluid later and now it's steering better than ever! Hopefully that's that sorted. Thanks gazza.

IanL

Post by IanL »

Hmm, how did it become empty? I'd check the level frequently.

McPhersonator

Post by McPhersonator »

Yeah, it actually does look like it's leaking right out again. Not a sever leak - just drips and drops. I guess I'll have a better idea if I find a puddle this morning.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Leaky pipes are common. But not always easy or cheap to fix.

Don't bother with the additives that say can stop leaks ... they just mess up the whole system.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

McPhersonator

Post by McPhersonator »

Well, I left a nice puddle at work. Seems like reversing into a space and doing lots of adjustments really got things flowing. *Sigh.* Back to the garage I go.

McPhersonator

Post by McPhersonator »

So, the car just decided to dump any and all power steering fluid onto an unsuspecting car park. It is safe to drive without it? I know cars didn't used to have it but I imagine it's quite integral these days.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Doubtful it's safe or sensible to try driving it. You can't react in an emergency plus you'll damage the pump ... if it isn't already.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

As a motorcyclist, I would urge you to fix this.
Oil on the road often results in a crash for us.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Carlos81

Post by Carlos81 »

I have a problem with the steering on my 206cc, i took it for an mot recently and it failed. The guy at kwik fit told me that the power steering is electric and its the motor fighting back. Is this true if so what can i do to fix it?

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Kwik fit continue to amaze .... the steering pump on a 206 is hydraulic ... electric? Rubbish like most kwikfit diagnoses. So lesson no 1: avoid kwak fit.

You are going to have to be a bit more specific about the problem. 'Fighting back' sounds like it is self-centring ... something ALL cars do.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Kwik fit strike again! I wouldn't trust them with my wheelbarrow, let alone my car.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.