Lifetime of a Catalytic Converter on a 206cc 2.0?

All your other probs if any.
Zash

Lifetime of a Catalytic Converter on a 206cc 2.0?

Post by Zash »

Hey fellas!

PP2000 is throwing up a 420 catalytic converter lifetime fault.

I have done 92,000 miles.

2000 model 206CC 2.0 16V

My primary question is:
1. What is the expected lifetime of the Cat on this model? (I believe it is identical to the 136BHP 206 GTi)
I hear they are guaranteed in the states for 8 years/80k miles. Is this true for my model as well? (I have also heard the 206 Cat doesn't suffer from life problems unless something is wrong...)

Additional information:
Been running on LPG for the last few years. I was running a little rich for ~2 years (Green line below) - I re-calibrated to the following (Blue Line) today after gathering data points when taking it out for a spin.

https://i.imgur.***/Z6UyNdi.jpg

Question 2:
2. Is the mixture difference enough to kill the Cat over 2 years? (green line vs blue line).

Question 3:
3. Although I have ordered 2 lambda sensors in the hope of them being at fault, can anyone recommend a good Cat for the price? I hear all the cheaper ones are made of ceramic and only last for ~1 year. I have seen a few on eBay with 2 year warranty; are these worth it? Or would you guys simply recommend to screw after market crap and just get a used one?

Thanks for any insight!
-- Zash

PS:
How in the world can I link to or post pictures without the forum preventing me from trying to do either? :censored: I this some sort of overzealous spam filter attempt? If it is, then :facepalm:

IanL

Re: Lifetime of a Catalytic Converter on a 206cc 2.0?

Post by IanL »

Can't answer about CATs, but I use Imgur to host pics, and that works fine. Just post the BB links from the web application.

I notice your Imgur link has *** instead of com. Perhaps that is the issue?

Here's your link working: https://i.imgur.com/Z6UyNdi.jpg

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Have you tried the old "Italian Tune-up" trick? .. give the car a really good spirited drive getting the cat as hot as you can to burn off any residues?

Cats don't live forever (not do Catalytic Convertors) .. a number of factors can reduce their life including shocks (speed humps are not a help here when the CC is so low), sudden cold shocks (puddles) and the mixture .. over rich will kill it eventually.

I had to get a new cat for our 2.0i when the front section of pipe was bent (speed humps!) and cracked the centre box .. it's a single piece from manifold clamp to rear box and it was easier than trying to find a new cat and weld it in.

I got ours from Online-Automotive after a failed attempt with another company. That was still on the car about three years late when we sold it and was working ok.

On the lambdas .. make sure they are different ... in that one has a longer cable that the other .. the cable is part of teh lambda circuit and if too short or too long affect how they operate. On the 2.0i one is pale blue and the other pale green to distinguish them.

Also some "cheaper" makes are not the right ohm rating .. NTKs are an example. I've only ever fitted Bosch lambdas as they work .. the NTK that was fitted to my old Alfa gave me now end of issues. In the end I bought a Bosch LS615 universal and wired it in using the old cable and the non-solder fitting kit. That as far as I know is still going 7 years later! And Lambda DO have a life of about 60-70k miles.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Zash

Post by Zash »

Thank you for the replies.

First Re: postine images; the error message I receive is:

"You are not authorized to post url links, please remove or rename:
imgur . c o m <==== (spaces entered by me)
You cannot use certain BBCodes: [img]."

The BB code is what is auto generated once I click the "img" button on the post header. Is my account restricted to not being allowed to post pics?

I had to remove ".com" and replace with "****" to even post a url :(

Second:

I hadn't considered the length to the wire to be an issue. AFAIK, 1m length of even tiny 1mm core will only have a resistance of 0.02 Ohms (compared to the 30 Ohms of the O2 sensor).

Still, I'll do as you suggest :)

Hopefully I won't need a new Cat!

Kind regards,
-- Zash

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Full details on installing a universal Lambda here Part No 0258 986 615 or LS-615

http://emea.resource.bosch.com/AA/inter ... CO0000.pdf

And one of the images that shows keeping the cable lengths the same ..
bosch_lambda_ls615.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Zash

Post by Zash »

Thanks for the reply.

From what I can tell, that set of images is simply showing you how to cut the cables to length as the original for routing purposes, not necessarily for operating differences. Still worth doing though in my opinion, and I could be wrong!

Thanks again.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I can't find the other instruction shheet that stated:

1) ensure you keep cables to same length as original ... but hence the image

2) do NOT solder the wires to join or even tin them ...