knocking under car when steering

All your other probs if any.
grassymango

knocking under car when steering

Post by grassymango »

Hey
So i spent nealy 400 2 months ago getting steering/suspension sorted got fresh shocks tie rods changed and track rods changed and they said i needed a new steering rod so changed that and they said ball joints okay and all should be fine but ive had some exhaust issues on my car so ive been getting this squeaking noise which i fixed other day it was due to my gasket on exhaust anyway i have also been getting a knocking noise directly under middle of car sounds like anyway i just thought it was a mount so i changed them all long story short it still there so i had car on ramp nothing is loose but i noticed the rubber boot on the steering rod they changed is torn and a small pipe disconnected thats supposed to connect onto the boot what is that for? It also looks like they used a plastic tie to tie the boot up no idea how it is torn i cannot fix it but when i tuen both wheels i can hear the knocking noise usualy mid turn when wheels just about streight. But if i have had all them parts changed why is that knocking there and would i be related to the pipe not being connected. I rang them said it shouldn't be damaged already and they will have a look but sounded like they tried to blame me saying they dont rip on there own its a peugeot 206cc 2002 thanks

Luditus

Re: knocking under car when steering

Post by Luditus »

The pipe allows air to be transferred from one gaiter to the other, preventing collapse when expanding, and ballooning when compressing. If not connected there is a risk of debris being sucked into the gaiter, but it would take a long time for this to cause any clonking noises.

Capncol

Re: knocking under car when steering

Post by Capncol »

2 months ago? Take it back and get them to fix it properly. Sale of goods= anything under 6months, and they have to prove it was your fault. Google it.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.