Oil Pressure Sensor Light and engine shake, rpms bounce

All your other probs if any.
tyealia

Oil Pressure Sensor Light and engine shake, rpms bounce

Post by tyealia »

So a couple of months ago my oil pressure sensor light came on (only at idle when the car is under 1000rpms, if it goes over the light dissapears, then when I slow down it comes back), so I went straight in to the mechanic for an oil change. He changed the oil but the fault wouldent dissapear.

Went to electrician and they couldent make it dissapear.

Mechanic took apart my car and told me the fuel pump was bad, so I dished out to replace the entire fuel pump. Still fault didnt go away. Mechanic said maybe its the sensor or some valve.

Now today, engine begins to shake very hard while idle, less when I drive and I hear a popping like sound I think from the back exhaust. Also I may be paranoid but I may smell fuel.

Final symptom the rpm gauge at idle is going up and down slightly at 1000.

Lots of problems now I know -_- any ideas?
Peugeot 206cc 2005 (2014 newish motor)
1.6L, 4 cylinder , 50 litre

Capncol

Re: Oil Pressure Sensor Light and engine shake, rpms bounce

Post by Capncol »

tyealia wrote:So a couple of months ago my oil pressure sensor light came on (only at idle when the car is under 1000rpms, if it goes over the light dissapears, then when I slow down it comes back), so I went straight in to the mechanic for an oil change. He changed the oil but the fault wouldent dissapear.

Mechanic took apart my car and told me the fuel pump was bad, so I dished out to replace the entire fuel pump. Still fault didnt go away. Mechanic said maybe its the sensor or some valve.Are you sure it was the fuel pump that was changed as that has nothing to do with oil pressure

Now today, engine begins to shake very hard while idle, less when I drive and I hear a popping like sound I think from the back exhaust. Also I may be paranoid but I may smell fuel.That sounds like a misfire. Have you got a warning light on?

Final symptom the rpm gauge at idle is going up and down slightly at 1000.Possibly to do with misfire

Please read the bit in red at the bottom of all my posts, as that give us a better idea of what we are looking at. I can't even tell if it's petrol or diesel from your posting
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

tyealia

Post by tyealia »

HI Capncol, Sorry for the confusion.

I have a 1.6ltr petrol 206cc (2005)

Recent work done - replaced fuel pump to try and fix oil pressure light (no effect)
Replaced one of the motor supports
Capncol wrote:
tyealia wrote:So a couple of months ago my oil pressure sensor light came on (only at idle when the car is under 1000rpms, if it goes over the light dissapears, then when I slow down it comes back), so I went straight in to the mechanic for an oil change. He changed the oil but the fault wouldent dissapear.

Mechanic took apart my car and told me the fuel pump was bad, so I dished out to replace the entire fuel pump. Still fault didnt go away. Mechanic said maybe its the sensor or some valve.Are you sure it was the fuel pump that was changed as that has nothing to do with oil pressure

Now today, engine begins to shake very hard while idle, less when I drive and I hear a popping like sound I think from the back exhaust. Also I may be paranoid but I may smell fuel.That sounds like a misfire. Have you got a warning light on?

Final symptom the rpm gauge at idle is going up and down slightly at 1000.Possibly to do with misfire

Please read the bit in red at the bottom of all my posts, as that give us a better idea of what we are looking at. I can't even tell if it's petrol or diesel from your posting

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

As Capncol has indicated, replacing the fuel pump would make no difference whatsoever to the oil pressure.

Low oil pressure on these cars is often down to the use of non-genuine oil filter elements. Pattern parts have been known to collapse and cause low oil pressure. The cure for that is to replace the oil filter with the correct genuine Peugeot part.

See the following thread:
http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic ... 23&t=11889
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I'm guessing it had a new filter along with the oil change although OP hasn't said so.

Still waiting for ........
Mileage? (is engine worn out)
Warning light? (confirmation of misfire)

If I was doing the work, I would verify the oil pressure with a pressure gauge to see if it was low pressure or a fault in the pressure sensor before I even thought about changing anything.
If your mech really did change fuel pump and not oil pump, I would be looking for someone else to do the work
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

tyealia

Post by tyealia »

The Mileage of the car is 115,000 km's however the engine died at about 70k do to the car being driven under a lot of water one night with previous owner and it was replaced with a new engine.

Warning light is there, it gives the low oil pressure warning, oxygen sensor fault and seatbelt warning.

I decided to take it to another mechanic/electrician. They think the rpm problem may be do to the throttle body/tps sensor. They have been trying to get a hold of one for a few days to test before they replace it. As im in Mexico its harder to find these parts.

*Part that had been replaced is the OIL pump not fuel pump, my mistake.

If you want to see the full car history I had a post here trying to restore it.
http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14762

Ill keep this updated if we find one or what the mechanic does to fix it incase anyone else runs into this issue in the future.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Oxygen sensor warning? Do you mean anti pollution fault? If so, look for a misfire not the throttle body.
Can you get fault codes read before you commit more money?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

tyealia

Post by tyealia »

It was not the throttle body, they got one in and it didnt fix the problem, luckily they did not make me pay for the part. The found out the the two Oxygen sensors in spanish its "sensor de oxygeno" so maybe those are the two pollution sensors? were done, they switched them out with two new ones and now the rpm issue is gone and the car drives about 30 degrees cooler. However the oil pressure warning is still there, they said i would have to go to mechanic for that one, they said in their opinion it may be the oil bulb.

but the two oxygen sensors did the trick and it drives great except for the oil pressure low warning which i will go to a mechanic for.

total cost

3000 pesos for 2 new sensors
1000 pesos for labor
----------
4000 pesos aka about 325 dollars not too bad considering they had it for 3 weeks being diagnosed and taken apart

leegsi

Post by leegsi »

Get a garage to do an oil pressure test.

That way if the pressure is good you know its a sensor or wiring fault.

tyealia

Post by tyealia »

FIXED UPDATE: Another update incase anyone has the same oil pressure fault. My mechanic took apart the whole car and went through piece by piece. His pressure test determined there was in fact low pressure at idle (I fired the other mechanic). He got to a point in one of the pipes where pressure was low, he installed something to tighten the piple a bit more thus increasing the pressure and eliminating the fault!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Don't you just love "poke & hope" mechanics? If your original mech had checked with a pressure gauge (as suggested) it would have saved a lot of time and expense. Sounds like your new mech found a fault in the oil pressure relief valve and possibly added a shim to increase pressure?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

mo7amed3arafa

Post by mo7amed3arafa »

I once had the same problem, changing the oil filter had the job done.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Please remove the Unauthorised hotlink in your signature savionferguson and confirm that you have done so within 24 hours.
Ron

rhume

Post by rhume »

Always seems a bit strange when someone replies to a post that is 4yrs old :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find myself the owner of 2 silver Peugeots: 206cc Allure and a 4007 (7 seat 4x4)

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

savionferguson did not respond and has been banned. Unauthorised hotlink has been deleted by moderators.
Ron