1.6 16V cambelt / timing belt guide

All your other probs if any.
TMac

Re: 1.6 16V cambelt / timing belt guide

Post by TMac »

Going to have a crack at this soon, now that I have worked out / taken a punt on:

- What antifreeze to get.
- How to do a full coolant flush as Peugeot has changed what colour its G33 coolant is!
- What length the AUX drive belt / serpentine / V-Belt is!
- Paid for and downloaded a service and repair manual
- Bought a universal cam locking tool

Love new car ownership that you don't have a full history on!

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I always used ECP/Halfords OAT coolant .. the pink/red stuff. We have hard water so buy the concentrated and mixed with de-ionised water.

If you are changing the cam belt, change tge water pump too. Solves the coolant drain then too.

My cam and crank locks are allen headed bolts. Worked fine for me!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

TMac

Post by TMac »

gazza82 wrote:I always used ECP/Halfords OAT coolant .. the pink/red stuff. We have hard water so buy the concentrated and mixed with de-ionised water.

If you are changing the cam belt, change tge water pump too. Solves the coolant drain then too.

My cam and crank locks are allen headed bolts. Worked fine for me!
Thanks for your info...

Thought I would get the recommended G33 coolant as it wasn't too much more in price. I am doing the water pump too, so like you said, will have to do a full coolant flush anyway. Have had 25 litres of distilled water delivered too as my water is also very hard.

TMac

Post by TMac »

Quite a few differences with the 2.0l engine. But managed to get it done using the workshop guide and the pics from the 1.6 guide.

Pretty simple all in all, the hardest bit is getting into access the bolts holding the timing case cover on, and getting the water pump off!

Thanks for all the advice on here, it is really appreciated and would be happy to give my perspective to anyone tackling the job on the 2.0L engine.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

TMac wrote:Quite a few differences with the 2.0l engine. But managed to get it done using the workshop guide and the pics from the 1.6 guide.
They are all basically the same .. just the methods to hold the cams usually. On some cars the gears line them up, and on others the cams are locked be the gears are loosened.
Pretty simple all in all, the hardest bit is getting into access the bolts holding the timing case cover on, and getting the water pump off!
Yes when they decided to fit this engine in that engine bay they must have thought we all have the hands of 5 year olds! Pretty sure I still have scars from when I did ours ... and realised why half the screws were missing!!
Thanks for all the advice on here, it is really appreciated and would be happy to give my perspective to anyone tackling the job on the 2.0L engine.
I wish now I'd kept the 2.0 guide I found ... the forum it was on got corrupted and a lot of posts and guides lost ....
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Lyndon
Site Admin

Post by Lyndon »

test post
Webmaster and Admin - http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

A OK AKA FAB,
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.