Hi from Immingham

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
bhaigh83

Hi from Immingham

Post by bhaigh83 »

Hi,
Just introducing myself to the fold.
I'm Ben, and I have just bought a cc. Gonna be honest, I wasnt looking for a cc, wasnt even looking for a peugeot. I have been driving ford puma's, and love them, but the wife hates them. I found myself without a car, for a couple of reasons, and needed one, but with no pumas nearby, and a reluctance to travel so close to christmas, I was looking at other options.
I spotted a cc on ebay, in grimsby, just down the road. I remember my mate having a 206gt back in the day, and it was fantastic, so I figured I would take a look. Same engine in these right, should be fun and I can shift it in the summer when its worth more right?
And so began my current predicament. The car was sorn'd, so I was buying without a test drive, and despite the advert saying it worked, the roof wouldnt open. But, the shell was excellent, the car looked smart, fired up first time, guy was really genuine, what could go wrong. I made a cheeky offer, as he was gonna take the auction down while he worked out what was wrong with the roof, and he agreed.
So, for £300 I have a 2003 03, moonstone blue, 2.0 se. 66k on the clock, very tidy looking shell, couple of rust blebs at bottom of drivers door, thats it.
As I drove it away, I realised it had a couple of issues. It needs new discs and pads at the front, that was advisory on mot anyway. One of the rear bushes was also an advisory, so its a little clunky on the move, but nothing major. Wife loves it, and is already talking about swapping cars over the summer, so the car is staying, the boss has spoken.
The problem is in the performance. It does not rev as freely under load as I expected, and really doesn't enjoy going over 4k. To the point that it barely goes over 4k, and will only slowly creep up past this. I have a couple of ideas as to what might be going on, from reading some threads on here before registering.
To sum it up, the car has to stay, the boss has ordered it. And with the price I have paid, and the condition of the shell, I can justify putting some money or time into getting this car sorted. I quite like it myself, seating position and general feel of the car suit me and my driving style, I just need the performance sorted to match the looks, and I will be a happy man. So, I shall be hanging around a while, and probably asking stupid questions to learn from you guys.

Oh, and after reading a thread on here which mentioned that the car might just need to be driven to get the roof working again, I realised I was onto a proper bargain. Sure enough, as soon as I had driven down the road, I pulled into tesco and tried the roof, brucey, it worked, lol.

gazza82

Re: Hi from Immingham

Post by gazza82 »

Well done. My daughter had one for five years and loved it! I didn't as I had to fix it!

Anyway, performance. Give it a good service. New oil, filters, plugs (Bosch Super 4s are good in the 2.0). It may need a couple of new sensors .. being unable to rev is usually the MAF or MAP sensor. But don't just through money down the drain changing anything and everything .. you might need to see if any codes are registered in the ecu .. and for that you will probably need PP2000 or access to it .. someone one here may be local and pop round to hook the car up or check on peugeotforums and/or 206info.

Clonking at the rear? .. check it isn't a radius arm ..

Enjoy!

PS at 13 years old it should have had a cambelt change at least once .. if there is no evidence in any paperwork, get it done! New belt, tensioners, etc .. 2 litre engine is covered in the "Black" Peugeot 206 Haynes manual too ..
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

bhaigh83

Post by bhaigh83 »

Hi gaz, I think you're right for the service. It was on the cards, I kind of have a routine when I buy a new car, especially if its a cheap one. That being, wazz a bottle of redex through it, filters, plugs, oil, and then a good check over and refresh/upgrade of the brakes.
In my mind, possible causes of the performance seem like they could be as follows: map sensor (I think this has map rather than maf?), coil pack (it seemed a little lumpy just now, but will do plugs first), or even knackered cat, as the exhaust from the cat back has been replaced, but the cat itself looks crummy as all hell.
The clunking, I havent even thought to investigate yet, and I wont until its running right. I can live with the clunking for the time being.
Nice to know you can actually get a haynes for it, with the pumas you just had to fumble through, or try and work out which bits were the same as a fiesta.
I wouldnt think I will do much till the new year though, christmas and all.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Welcome to the forum Ben.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

Just to really confuse everyone... I'm Ben from Grimsby. Welcome, Ben. Hope your CC treats you well.

I think Gazza is on the money with his advice. Good luck with it.
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

bhaigh83

Post by bhaigh83 »

Hi again everyone who replied. I just thought I would come back with the outcome of my power troubles.

It turned out to be a lesson in never ignoring the obvious.
I gave the car a full service (oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter and plugs), and while it was a little smoother, there was still no power. I bought a coil pack, as it still seemed a little stuttery, and again it made no real difference.

I bought some aerosol carb cleaner, to clean up the throttle position sensor and map sensor, to see if it was related to either of them. Again, no difference, although it was satisfying to see the butterfly and tps looking less gunky. That was yesterday.

I woke up this morning and went to recover my brothers broken down zafira, and as I was tinkering, I was watching his throttle butterfly open and close, and then it hit me. My throttle was only opening a little bit.

I went and checked under my bonnet, and the little clippy thing that holds the throttle cable adjuster was missing, so even with the pedal mashed to the floor, it was only about a third open. I quickly jerry-rigged the adjuster with a couple of cable ties, and went for a spin.

The car now doesnt stutter at all, and frankly flies, so, when I can source a clip, my power woes will be over for good.

I suppose the lesson is dont ignore the little things, as the thought it could be so simple as a slack throttle cable never even crossed my mind.

So, next up is to refresh the brakes, and contemplate how much suspension work I fancy, as my wife now loves the new faster cc, and it looks like this could be a long term keeper.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Well done - and thanks for feeding back the outcome. Back to basics eh?
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

Good work, Ben. Glad you've sorted it!
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure