New owner - winter performance 2005 1.6v Allure

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
BB Blu

New owner - winter performance 2005 1.6v Allure

Post by BB Blu »

Hi there... Newbie from North Yorkshire...

Fancied something different for a winter car so replaced my heavy Italian 5 seater for a fun CC :)
Bought it late September, and love it.. However... I need advise regarding its handling in wet and snow...
10 days ago put 4 X Goodyear new winter tyres on 205 45 16 H. I am experiencing loss of grip on the rear with speeds above 60mph, even though I have done over 500 miles on them. I have checked the tread and the rears have not shedded off the manufacturers rubber bobbles...

I'm use to heavy cars (my other club car is a '94 2litre Jap).. Never had problems with cars sticking to the tarmac like glue in all weather's... However, the CC is a light little devil...

Can anyone give me tips of how to improve its handling.. I do a 3 hour round trip commute each day...and the last 3 days in extreme down pours (driving at speeds of 50-55mph on the A64, must be peeving my fellow commuters lol).

Also, wipers only have 3 speeds.. and splash from oncoming heavy lorries can feel like being hit by a tidal wave... any recommendations on how to improve their performance?

Many thanks Victoria

gazza82

Re: New owner - winter performance 2005 1.6v Allure

Post by gazza82 »

Those winter tyres will not work properly until the temperature is a lot lower. You may be better with good quality summer tyres in the wet. Winters are designed for snow not rain. I've never had winter tyres on car so not an expert.

Plus the rear end of any 206 is very light even the cc with that heavy boot lid and roof.

Get the rear trailing arms checked for wear. If they are moving or worn, the rear end is very twitchy.

Wipers: try Aero blades. And whether the arms are still under spring pressure.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Re: New owner - winter performance 2005 1.6v Allure

Post by Capncol »

If the rears aren't scrubbed in, try swapping the fronts to rears.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.