New owner, and it's great! But...

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
McPhersonator

New owner, and it's great! But...

Post by McPhersonator »

I am here for a happy reason - I'm now the proud owner of a Puegeot 206 cc. It's the first car I've bought and insured myself (no help from the Bank of Mum and Dad!) and it's great. Can't wait for summer to get the top down!
But... there are a few things that are making me worry if it'll make it to summer. First is a very common problem I gather - the comm 2000 stalks. Indicators only behave when the lights are on, which is workable but inconvenient. I'm wondering if this is a repair job I can attempt myself if I got the right set of screwdrivers. Even if not, could I do much harm just having a look?
Another problem is recurring message about an antipolution fault. Sometimes the car becomes juddery when this light comes on, sometimes it doesn't.
And lastly, the handbreak. I never put a huge amount of force into it but a couple of days ago, it came way up. Now it's pretty weak, which is a problem as I usually have to park on a slope.

Perhaps this post should belongs in a different forum, but I thought I'd come here as it's my first post. I'd be super grateful for any help and advice - I really want to get to know this new car and look after her for years to come.
53 Plate 2.0l Allure - Preston, Lancashire

Luditus

Re: New owner, and it's great! But...

Post by Luditus »

Hi, welcome.
Handbrake. My handbrake was crap, in my opinion, but it never failed an MOT! So I just assumed that was the way it was meant to be. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to have the whole rear braking system renewed. Discs, pads, cables and tyres. My mechanic showed me the old cables, a bit of rust but not frayed. Past their replacement date, in my book. Wow, what a difference - a joy to drive.

martyrox

Post by martyrox »

Hi,
I'm not too sure that the comm 2000 can be repaired (see posts from Capncol - he is very knowledgeable) I also had a similar problem with antipollution fault and juddering managed to fix this with throttle body aerosol spray and a petrol additive, about £25 altogether, and taking the car out for a long run - Italian style! to get everything hot and burning off the crap on the various sensors. Don't forget to put in decent petrol it really does help.
All the best, Martin (South Devon)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

McPhersonator wrote:I am here for a happy reason - I'm now the proud owner of a Puegeot 206 cc. It's the first car I've bought and insured myself (no help from the Bank of Mum and Dad!) and it's great. Can't wait for summer to get the top down!
But... there are a few things that are making me worry if it'll make it to summer. First is a very common problem I gather - the comm 2000 stalks. Indicators only behave when the lights are on, which is workable but inconvenient. I'm wondering if this is a repair job I can attempt myself if I got the right set of screwdrivers. Even if not, could I do much harm just having a look? You could bust it completely. If a new one is out of your price range, there is someone on ebay that repairs them
Another problem is recurring message about an antipolution fault. Sometimes the car becomes juddery when this light comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Really need codes read to properly diagnose the fault. Sounds like it maybe a misfire but proper diagnostic will confirm
And lastly, the handbreak. I never put a huge amount of force into it but a couple of days ago, it came way up. Now it's pretty weak, which is a problem as I usually have to park on a slope. Sounds like a broken cable

Perhaps this post should belongs in a different forum, but I thought I'd come here as it's my first post. I'd be super grateful for any help and advice - I really want to get to know this new car and look after her for years to come.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

McPhersonator

Post by McPhersonator »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Managed to get the handbreak fixed back at the dealership. The guy tried to tell me it wasn't covered in the warranty, after he'd fixed it! I might be a new driver but I'm not a mug. 'Just this once, I'll do it for free then,' he said.
Anyway, I noticed the link in another post to the eBay guy who repairs the stalks. I think I will make use of his services if the problem persists. I did ask at the garage when I got the handbreak fixed, and the guy said the problem will just go away eventually. Yep, I think my business with those guys is done.
53 Plate 2.0l Allure - Preston, Lancashire

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

As you bought it from a dealer, you have certain rights.

Consumer Rights act.
If a defect is found after 30 days, but within six months, buyers are entitled to request a repair, replacement or refund. The law assumes that the fault was there at the time of delivery, unless the seller can prove it wasn’t.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/new ... ctober-1st
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.