Newbie...

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
MaureenH

Newbie...

Post by MaureenH »

Delighted to have found this forum.

I've had a problem with my Peugeot 206cc 1.6 since the end of last Summer. My roof RAM stopped working and my neighbour (a mechanic) kindly shut the roof up for me and took the offending part out. It's a tiny little thing not more than three inches long and I'm told the new part (8446 G1) costs £400 or more!! Seems a bit excessive but anyway...

I am getting conflicting information from two mechanics. One says once the new RAM is fitted there's all sorts of aligning needs to be done with special Peugeot computerised gubbins (apologies - I'm not techy therefore am making sure I'm not getting ripped off by being blinded with science) and that it's going to be a lengthy (expensive!) job. Another tells me three hours tops and no need for any special alignment of sensors etc.

Who should I believe? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Bewildered :hmm:

Capncol

Re: Newbie...

Post by Capncol »

Just replace faulty ram. You may have to bleed the air from it.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

MaureenH

Post by MaureenH »

Thank you. Much as I thought... the guy who said I'd have to realign everything wanted to hold onto the car for two days to do it!!! A chancer :-(

Really appreciate your input x

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

No problem. Let us know how you get on.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

MaureenH

Post by MaureenH »

One last question... sorry... any idea how long the job should take? The guy I am favouring now to do the work says no more than 3 hours. The old RAM is out so the whole thing is dismantled.

I really appreciate the advice. Cheers x

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

There are several rams and I'm not sure which one you mean, but the replacement of it shouldn't take any longer than your neighbour took to remove it, plus maybe 20mins to top up fluid and purge system.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)