"Overheating" problem

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
slyder

"Overheating" problem

Post by slyder »

Can anyone please help, my 206cc 2.0Lt petrol (Variant 2DRFN* Version 2*RFN*) 2002 47,000 miles has started to show the following symptems:-
After approx 30 miles warning "coolant temp to high" "stop" lights flash, water temp gauge rapidly goes into red. Plenty of water, you can touch hoses (in fact water temp seems "low") electric fan running. When ignition turned back on (after 2 mins!) temp gauge immediately drops back to normal and car runs ok. This repeats after approx another 30 miles and so on. I have replaced the green sensor at right top side of engine (viewed stood in front of car) after diagnostics indicated coolant temp sensor 1 fault, but the problem persists. I am currently out of work so i am keeping my fingers crossed that a visit to the dealers can be averted! Here's hoping someone can help, thankyou, Bob.

52nd of February

Re: "Overheating" problem

Post by 52nd of February »

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum!

I had a similar problem to you - hard water had been put in my cooling system at its last service and that caused the thermostat to get all gunked up (causing irratic readings, 75, then 105, then....) and ruined the filter. The car had been serviced a few months prior, it takes a while for the minerals to sediment in hard water and they're what caused my problem...

You say the water hoses feel cool even though it's reading over 110... This seems to indicate a sensor is playing up. And unfortunately, that probably means a visit to the dealer.......

Good luck, hope it gets sorted quickly!

slyder

Post by slyder »

Member from OZ, many thanks for your suggestions ref my overheating problem. Fortunately i live in a very soft water area so i dont think that would cause the fault. As i have replaced the green sensor i am beginning to think same as you, expensive trip to the dealer, "ouch"! (Unless somebody knows more?)

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

If your car is still on its original cambelt then it is about due for renewal. I'd consider getting that done, together with a new water pump and anti-freeze/coolant renewal.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Bad Dobby

Post by Bad Dobby »

Hi, I had similar prob and I found that the problem was with the Thermostat. Easy and cheap fix. Hope this helps