Water pooling in the car.

Any problems assoicated with leaks
MartinMax

Water pooling in the car.

Post by MartinMax »

Hi Everyone,

I had an issue today after some rain fell down.
When accelerating, I hear a slushing sound like water waves somewhere near the left back seat.
There is no moisture or water in the cabin or trunk (thank god) but I suspect that water is pooling somewhere in the body or chassis.

I still haven't had the time or dry weather to check but if it's dry I'll try pulling the inner trim this weekend and see if anything shows...

Any ideas where to look for it?

Martin
---------------------------
2001 206cc 2.0 S16
Silver with matte black accents...

martyrox

Re: Water pooling in the car.

Post by martyrox »

Hi, I had the very same problem! Remove the back seat and you will probably find water pooling in the wells under the rear window. This, in my case, was caused by the rubbers around the rear window becoming separated from the body work. I cured this by cleaning and thoroughly drying the area, carefully masking the rubber and body work and squirting in automotive sealant/adhesive (you can easily get this on ebay for about £7). For a belt and braces approach you can drill a small hole where the water was pooling insert a short length of plastic tube (about an inch) and seal with the above mentioned mastic, which will act as a permanent drain. You'll probably find that just by sealing the rubbers will do the job. I would suggest that replacement rubber is the best remedy, if you can get new parts.
The mastic is Teck MS 55 black (http://www.e-teck.com or ebay). Be careful how you use it, don't use latex gloves - it'll just instantly stick them together, be prepared to use white spirit and Jiff to get it off your fingers.
Hope this is of some help, good luck, Martin.

martyrox

Post by martyrox »

Hi, I've posted a reply which may be helpful but it seems to have disappeared; if you've got it, great, if not let me know and I'll repeat, Martin A.

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

martyrox wrote:Hi, I've posted a reply which may be helpful but it seems to have disappeared; if you've got it, great, if not let me know and I'll repeat, Martin A.
Must have been a glitch, as it is visible now.
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to wait for a day without rain to do this.
2001 206cc 2.0 S16

martyrox

Post by martyrox »

Great, I meant to say windows (plural) as in quaterlights not the rear window, but I guess you worked it out anyway. Hope the weather clears up soon in your neck of the woods, it's raining here in South Devon.

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

Ha, ha... I'm in Macedonia so we call them windows (front and rear). However, I had seen the term quarter light previously so I know where to look. Unfortunately, it's raining constantly, it's not pouring down, but it doesn't stop...

I have high hopes for the weekend (fingers crossed).
2001 206cc 2.0 S16

martyrox

Post by martyrox »

Hello Macedonia!
Just occurred to me that when I've filled my petrol tank to the top it sloshes over the baffles and sounds just like water splashing in the back of the car. Could be a possible cause, or as you said earlier, maybe rain water collecting in the chassis low points and draining out as you drive off - which I've also noticed. Anyway , have fun looking for the cause! It's been sunny here today...........top down.......briefly........too cold.
Regards, Martin A.

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

So today was a clear day, after 2 days of rain.
I opened the roof (with a few crazy looks from neighbors @ +2Celsius) and removed the upper and side trim. The thing is there is no sign of water anywhere. The inner side of the body is dry, even some small leaves that have entered are dry. And when pulling off the sound of water slushing is gone.
Could this be a clogged drain path? I'm thinking something like the ones on the bottom of the doors.
I suspect if it is clogged (leaves od maple tree seeds) it could be draining slowly?

I will most likely have to wait for the sound to appear again and then check once more. For now, I left the plastic trim dismantled for a better overview.
2001 206cc 2.0 S16

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

martyrox

Post by martyrox »

Hi,
The thread regarding the sills is quite right, coincidentally I've just checked my drain holes (local garage kindly did this for me using their lift) and all were clogged with underseal and paint, allowing only a very small drainage. Two fresh holes were drilled, sealed with rust inhibitor and will be painted asap. This,I hope, will allow any water to drain quickly. Let's hope that this along with the window rubber leak (mentioned in my first reply) will make my car almost water tight, maybe yours as well. Best to disregard my comments about petrol sloshing over the baffles in the tank! Martin A.

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

martyrox wrote:Hi,
Best to disregard my comments about petrol sloshing over the baffles in the tank! Martin A.
Actually, that was my first thought as well, but at that time the tank was half empty and it was easy to test if anything changes by filing up.

I will have to wait for the next weekend to check the drains on the sills but this advice seems promising as after parking the car in a covered space the sloshing has disappeared. This means the water is draining, just not quickly enough.
2001 206cc 2.0 S16

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

So I crafted this tool from a paper clip
IMG_20191217_084439.jpg
and started poking around the drain holes that look like this, actually the center of the jack slot.
IMG_20191217_151137.jpg
About one full glass of water dripped out. I did the front one as well. I will have to craft a better tool from stronger material and see if more water will drip out. Good thing I sorted out this before freezing temperatures start.

For now this issue is sorted out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 206cc 2.0 S16

martyrox

Post by martyrox »

Well done, after so many words and thoughts a paperclip did the job! I'm sure this will be a great help to the many who have similar problems. Happy Christmas, Martin

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

Happy Christmas Marty!!!
2001 206cc 2.0 S16