Windscreen Washer Pipe Snapped

Any problems assoicated with leaks
Skezza

Windscreen Washer Pipe Snapped

Post by Skezza »

So from one issue to another. My partner told me her windscreen washers haven't been working for a while, so last night I decided to have a look and sure enough, the pipe is actually cut. The water is sprayed down wing by the scuttle panel roughly and I've found one half of the pipe which is by the wing, I can access it from the door being open.

So is this a wing off job? Or car in the air job? Or what?

Has anyone actually renewed the washer bottle piping? The biggest problem I can see is accessing the piping. Sure I've got one end, but I can't even find the other end. I suppose I need to work out where the other end is before I can go further.

Perhaps one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-WIN ... 1881296117

With some cable ties might do it.

My biggest issue is the MOT is soon.

Yikes.

gazza82

Re: Windscreen Washer Pipe Snapped

Post by gazza82 »

Cut or snapped as the hose is brittle now? If just cut, reconnect it with one of those.

Never had the hose out but it may just need the inner wing liner taken off .. not the complete wing!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

When you do get at it warm the ends in a cup of hot water to soften them before you fit the connector.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Skezza

Post by Skezza »

OK, so fixing this wasn't too big an issue, but it was a bit of a pain. So the washer pipe runs down the drivers side of the bonnet and down the wing. Where the lines up with the wing, the pipe has been cut. I have a feeling it's probably popped out of the little holder which keeps it in place and been crushed by the bonnet. Anyway, the end of the pipe had fallen behind the wing so took a bit of effort with a set of small pliers and crushing my fingers. Lovely.

Anyway, I bought a 4mm inline joiner from EuroCarParts, 71p with a 30% discount. I also bought some RTV silicone sealant discounted to £2.99. I connected the two pipes. There was no need to warm the pipe up really, it was a barbed connector so it was quite a tight fit. I used a bit of sealant on the connector ends itself, and used a bit on the outside to seal it. Not a particularly attractive job. I went full on with the sealant. The last thing I want is this happening again though, so I'd say it was justified.

24 hours later, no leaks, and it seems to be working great. A bit ugly, but who cares, it's under the bonnet. This isn't a show car!! To stop it happening again, I'd say it makes sense to keep an eye on where the pipe is sitting. Maybe even remove it from the holder, when it's free, it seems to run naturally more along the line of the wing rather than when it's in the holder where it's perilously close to getting crushed.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably add a few cm's of extra pipe and use two connectors. Just as a recommendation. The pipe is not under high stress, but it's not exactly slack either.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Well done - Good write up, thanks.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)