Oil leak diagnosis please?

Any problems assoicated with leaks
j2112

Oil leak diagnosis please?

Post by j2112 »

Noticed some oil on the drive from the cc. The car hadn't been driven other than moving it a few yards on the drive. It was to go in this week to have it looked at but this has had to be postponed for a week, so yesterday I thought I'd give the general area a clean to try and help pinpoint the source. This morning I found this
image.jpeg
Seems to be coming from the join at the sump to the bottom of the oil filter housing thing. Pic is upside down and back to front, sorry!
Any advice appreciated - if its something I can sort myself, that'd be handy!?
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

j2112

Re: Oil leak diagnosis please?

Post by j2112 »

Nipped all the fittings up a little bit and this morning there is only a 'weep' from that area, which is good news I guess?! Might be a little more tightening available so I'm going to try that in a minute.
Was going to change the oil and filter anyway, but can't decide whether to just go ahead with that now, or take the housing off for a new seal?

Slo

Post by Slo »

Its a no brainer take it off and get a new seal, versus snap some studs off after overtightening them.

You will likely buckle the mating seal/face before it plugs the leak anyway
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

j2112

Post by j2112 »

That's what I thought.
Have you done this? Not sure if there's enough clearance to allow sufficient movement to install the new seal without removing the exhaust first? I'll probably try it that way to start with, and from what I can see there are only a few bolts. Providing they can be accessed .....
I've also read that the seal doesn't come individually but I'm going to nip into local dealer tomorrow to ask. Iirc it was also suggested that the seal is the same as the O ring for the actual filter housing, but need to confirm. Will dealer know the answer ....... doubt it !!

Slo

Post by Slo »

The photo is so zoomed in I don't even know what that part is to be honest, its made of ally and that bends when you overtighten it is all. Is it on the front of the block being oil filter housing? Do you mean the heat exchanger housing? Its been a while since I was under my car.

Ive nicked this from servicebox, its the only thing I can think of it being. The gasket I think you need is number 3 and is available seperately at £4.62 although peugeot commonly only sell small things in lots of five or tens depending on size
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

j2112

Post by j2112 »

Apparently there are three seals in there - £11 + vat.
Ordered today so should be here sometime next week.

j2112

Post by j2112 »

Another dealer sold two together, and the third smaller one (76p +) was only available in packs of ten, as you suggested. He also said that it was probably not required anyway.
Different dealers, different stories!

Slo

Post by Slo »

Funny that cos there's only one on the diagram, if it is that part that's leaking anyway (doesnt look like it tbh)

Yeah and most of em are idle tossers that cant be bothered to help you because your buying parts for a "old" car, been there ive got a 28 year old 205 and live right across the road from a dealer and almost everything ive been into ask about have been given the same old "sorry its not available any more" instead of doing an international dealer search for new old stock.

Luckily I know a guy who can locate nos from many dealers world wide and have many nos parts ready to fit when I do my restoration on it.

j2112

Post by j2112 »

That sounds like fun! Wouldn't mind a resto project myself some day. Having said that, every car we get seems like a bloomin project!

j2112

Post by j2112 »

image.jpeg
In this (stolen) pic, I think it's the ones labelled A and 6?

Slo

Post by Slo »

No wonder I didn't recognise that its from the 1.6 engine I thought you had the 2.0 litre :lol:

j2112

Post by j2112 »

Slo wrote:No wonder I didn't recognise that its from the 1.6 engine I thought you had the 2.0 litre :lol:
:big-grin:

Does it make sense now?

Slo

Post by Slo »

Aye and I can see what my mate (whos missus has a 1.6cc) was complaining about when it came to changing the oil filter or cartridge rather that ended up getting left in.

Is it hidden under a manifold that?

j2112

Post by j2112 »

Its behind the cat unfortunately! I think there MIGHT be enough clearance to get the unit out, providing I can get to all the fittings, but I'm not sure. It would also depend on whether the mating faces are flat to each other, or if there are any protrusions (which would need more clearance).

j2112

Post by j2112 »

Replacement seals in.
So far so good :Yes: