passenger side leak, from Heater?...

Any problems assoicated with leaks
chris57

passenger side leak, from Heater?...

Post by chris57 »

Hi all, first post.
I have wet passenger carpets, but the water is kind of slimy. I'm thinking it might be from the heater, which has some chrystaline deposits on the passenger end of the moulding.

Any ideas?

Chris

Capncol

Re: passenger side leak, from Heater?...

Post by Capncol »

If it's weeping from the joint where the pipes through the bulkhead meet the heater matrix (3 bolts) Then the "O" rings need replacing. They only come as part of the pipework, but generic "O" rings fit.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

chris57

Post by chris57 »

Interestingly, the heater box end was dry yesterday, despite a lot of work with the hosepipe on the screen, but after a night of on-off rain, this morning the heater box end is wet as is a puddle in the low point of the carpet which is otherwise drying out since we blocked it off the floor with a lump of 4x2. There is no new wetness on the floor itself.

Col, is it common for the O rings to fail for no apparent reason? And do you agree that the sliminess of the water suggests that it is coming from the heater system and is basically engine coolant plus anti-freeze?

I'm not really used to these modern cars!!

Cheers,
Martin

Slo

Post by Slo »

I've got this problem too, having filled up my water bottle to the cap for the last year and loosing no water at all I have done a service and filled it up with antifreeze and over time have noticed the same wet carpets with slimy liquid thats suspiciously red and the water level has dropped in the bottle yet the heater still works fine and its been like this for weeks now.

Due to injury ive not looked under the dash yet to investigate as im unable to.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Chris & Slo. I have changed several of these over the years. The O rings go hard. I can do a "how to" if you like.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

Slo

Post by Slo »

I can do that quite easily, well when my shoulder is well enough to get under there anyway, but for the sake of others that haven't that might be a great help as this has been a common problem throughout the history of peugeots for the last 30 odd years - particularly where cheap matrix's have been fitted.

Had a similar problem on my 605 and several times on my 205 over the years

Nice one Col :thumbs:
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

chris57

Post by chris57 »

Oh yes please, Col, I would very much appreciate a How-to on this as iI can't make head nor tail of the crap Haynes manual. (When did they stop doing drawings).

Many thanks,
Chris

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

chris57 wrote:Oh yes please, Col, I would very much appreciate a How-to on this as I can't make head nor tail of the crap Haynes manual. (When did they stop doing drawings).
About the time they stopped putting in all the information about doing something .. the obviously find it funny to let us find the gaps! :-)
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

chris57

Post by chris57 »

I wouldn't mind, but I used to be the one who did the drawings. I ran a tech. publications company for 7 years! All pooterised now and I haven't put a pen to paper (card, actually) for years. But come the glorious powercut, brothers and sisters...............

Chris67

chris57

Post by chris57 »

My son confirms that once he knows what he has to do (as long as it doesn't mean taking the dash out) he'll be round to do it. So that How-To would be VERY welcome!

Cheers,
Chris57

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

OK Chris, it's quite easy.
Start by draining the coolant from the bottom hose and disconnecting the 2 heater hoses at the back of the engine where they attach to the bulkhead. You will have to remove intake pipework to gain access. Once the hoses are off, remove the rectangular metal retaing plate (there is a screw hidden below and between the pipes that are left protruding through the bulkhead)
If you dont remove this plate, you won't get the necessary movement in the pipework to seperate them from the heater.
Next, from the passenger footwell, remove the 3 bolts attatching the pipes (that run from the bulkhead to the heater) from the end of the heater matrix. You will now (carefully) be able to push the pipework towards the bulkhead, while gently pulling the heater matrix end in the opposite direction. The pipes enter the matrix by about 10mm so this is how much you need to seperate the pipes and matrix by before they will seperate. Once out, replace the 2 "O"rings and replace it all in reverse.

Couple of photos to follow....but need to upload first. OK?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

chris57

Post by chris57 »

Capncol, that is so much easier to understand than the book.
Thankyou so much and apologies for not replying sooner. We've been getting hardcore delivered and that's rather occupied us this week.
I'll keep this for my son to follow.

Thanks again. I'll let you know when the lad's done it.
BTW, where do we get the rings from?

Cheers,
Martin

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Pipes from under passenger footwell showing 3 bolts to undo and 1 further back towards bulkhead which I forgot to mention
image.jpeg
Heater hoses to remove. Once off you will see the metal plate and retaining bolt
image.jpeg
And from stood further back so you can see the inlet pipework to remove
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

chris57

Post by chris57 »

Thanks very much, Col. I signed Martin in the last reply, because that's my name, but I had to join the forum under my wife's name as it wouldn't accept mine!

Cheers,
Chris/Martin

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Your secrets safe with us Martin ;) :lol:

BTW you can click on photos to enlarge. Sorry about the duplicate pics but it was late.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)