Fuel Leak!

Any problems assoicated with leaks
Karrot

Fuel Leak!

Post by Karrot »

206CC 2.0 SE 2001.

Not a massive issue as she off to the local garage tomorrow for this, but I thought it worth posting for documentation purposes alone.

I noticed a pretty solid line of petrol on the ground after reversing in to a parking space at work this morning, and had thought I could smell petrol in the car for the last mile of the journey.

Looking under the car after an hour there is a nice petrol stain in front of the rear off side wheel. I cant really crawl under the car in my work clothes, but it looks like there is a fuel filter around that area. My current guess is that a fuel line has split or the filter has failed in some way.

Cant see any dripping at this point in time, but I'll go and turn the ignition n at lunch time to re-pressurise the fuel system and see what dribbles out. Pretty certain its not a tank leak as she's had a full tank over the weekend and no signs of anything on the road by my house.

Karrot
As long as water isn't falling out of the sky, the roof can be down.

Karrot

Re: Fuel Leak!

Post by Karrot »

Update:

Pouring out ahead of the wheel when the ignition is on the the fuel pump activates.

RAC ride home I think.....

Karrot

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Sounds like a leak at the filter or pipework. RAC man may be able to fix.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Karrot

Post by Karrot »

My thoughts too Col,

At worse I'd think he should be able to jury rig something to get me home, if not its piggy back time :D

Karrot

Karrot

Post by Karrot »

Dolly ride home last night courtesy of a very nice RAC man.

Looks like the fuel filter has rotted and developed a hole. Cars in the garage today for that, oil and timing belt check / fix.

Karrot

Karrot

Post by Karrot »

To finish this thread off.

The fuel filter was the issue. Just a pin hole in it, but under pressure it ejected plenty of fuel on to the road.

Oil flush and change done and an new timing belt fitted.

The out come of all this is that the cars lumpy cold idling seems to have been cured. Also the 'worn belt' squeek / hiss has gone. I'd attribute this to the new tensioner, the old one had a lovely dry bearing hiss to it when turned by hand.

The drive in to work this morning was uneventful, which is always nice.

Karrot

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Thanks for feeding back.
Glad it's sorted.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.