Leak caused by heavy rain

Any problems assoicated with leaks
GrandadMonkey

Re: Leak caused by heavy rain

Post by GrandadMonkey »

That would be messy, especially when you clean your car. I just apply a thin film to the roof seals and rub it well in. Where the two seals meet above the door there is a tiny gap on ours and I put a daub of grease in that gap.

The cover is an idea worthy of consideration. Would save having icy windows throughout the winter mornings too. Our 206cc is cossetted - tucked up snugly in its garage overnight. Probably why we rarely experience leaks. We leave the windscreen wipers up off the screen too - avoids the distortion you get when they are permanently held down by the springs. They last a lot longer without scraunching.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Karrot

Post by Karrot »

I had exactly this issue. Water was visibly dripping in from the hinge between the rear and top roof sections onto the rear seat. It turned out to be leaking in between the roof and the door seal, not the seal and window.

My fix (tested in very heavy rain, pressure washers and car washes) was as follows.

* Retract front and rear windows on the leaky side
* Peel the seal away from the top roof section (over the door)
* Daub in copious amounts of silicon grease. Towards the rear of the roof panel there was a slot cut in the metal (behind the seal) Fill this with grease too.
* Reseat the seal and wipe away excess grease as is squidges out
* Open roof 1/2 way and apply grease to seals and contact surfaces (lightly)
* Complete roof cycle, then close roof and clean up excess.

Once you've got this sorted you will probably find that the rear seat is damp and there may be a pool of water between the seat and side panels. Removing the rear seat isnt necessary, but makes mopping up the water easier. You can get away with just pulling the side of the seat clear and then getting some paper towel in there. There is a small recess each side of the rear bench seat, below the side trim panel, and the water will accumulate there.

Notably after fixing this leak and mopping up the water all of my window misting problems vanished and I can now drive with a passenger without the A/C on and do not get misted windows.

HTH

Karrot
As long as water isn't falling out of the sky, the roof can be down.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Thanks for the feedback. May help someone else with similar issues :thumbs:
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

earlybird

Post by earlybird »

Just to re-cap I applied more grease focused on the front and rear roof join above the door and over the window, now I'm dry (which is pretty impressive with the current weather)
Thanks!