Coolant Leak (I think)

Any problems assoicated with leaks
EdmundIJones

Coolant Leak (I think)

Post by EdmundIJones »

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice, I've just gone out to my car (2.0) and found the passenger foot-well covered with water, on closer inspecting it's pink and I think looks like engine coolant. It appears to be dripping from out behind the centre console. It wasn't like this when I parked up yesterday so it has mysteriously appeared over night.

Has anyone got any ideas, it's certainly leaking from behind the centre console and then down onto the floor.

EDIT: Just been reading it could be a failed heater matrix, sound right?

GrandadMonkey

Re: Coolant Leak (I think)

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Heater matrix - yes. My daughter had one go on her 307cc last year. Took the Peugeot dealer several hours so it cost quite a bit.

See also

http://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/ftopic-1592.html
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

EdmundIJones

Post by EdmundIJones »

I've got the heater matrix out now and it's not very healthy looking. I'm going to replace the matrix as soon as the wife gets home with the other car so I can collect a new matrix, the O rings looks in good order so I'll just replace the whole unit. The Pug now has it's coolant system disconnected so I just need to wait.

It's actually quite easy to remove once you've worked out how to remove the glove box (i.e. the fascia to the glove box)!

EdmundIJones

Post by EdmundIJones »

All fixed now, I reckon the whole job if done in one go should take around 60 minutes, and that's from somebody who wasted 20 minutes trying to find the secret way to remove the glove compartment door!

I got the replacement matrix, checked the O rings and reassembled nice and tight. I've replace the lost coolant and given the car a good 30 minute drive and 30 minutes idling and all seems okay.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Well done!

A bit late now but for the sake of the cost of a couple of new O-rings I'd have replaced them too. It is sometimes them that leak rather than the matrix itself apparently.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

EdmundIJones

Post by EdmundIJones »

Yeah I know but I only thought about that after getting back with the new matrix and really couldn't be bothered going out again. It was an easy job really so replacing the O rings in the future would be quite simple, just a bit messy.

a2pass

Post by a2pass »

I got the same problem. I took the car to a local garage that do peugeot cars and quote me for quite a bit. After reading the comments, I will get the matrix tomorrow and do it myself. I am still trying to find the procedure from my electronic manual I bought recently. thanks guys for the tips.
Last edited by a2pass on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdmundIJones

Post by EdmundIJones »

It's quite easy, just work methodically.

Don't do this when the engine coolant is hot
Remove the glove box door.
Remove the glove box compartment
Unscrew the coolant pipes to the matrix (try to catch the coolant that rushes out)
Unscrew the heater matrix and work it out past the side trim (it's quite tight)

See these for help:
http://bug206.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/ho ... vebox.html

http://puggy206.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/ ... atrix.html

I should have documented it when I did the job last week but was running short on time, sorry. Let me know if you have any questions. as others have said, you may as well replace the O rings when your doing it, they don't come with the new matrix.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I would drain coolant first.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

a2pass

Post by a2pass »

Thanks so much again, guys.

davepug

Post by davepug »

Hi there, Just observing the forum as i have a similar problem.

If the water which is collecting in the footwell is from the heater matrix, can i assume that this would be why the water needs topping-up often?

Would make sense to me, but looking for some reassurance???

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Is it definitely coolant or a leak from the roof?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

EdmundIJones

Post by EdmundIJones »

Coolant has a slightly slim feel to it if you get it on your hands.

davepug

Post by davepug »

haha, just noticed that this is a 206cc forum, my pug is just a mere 3door hatchback!! (D'oh!!!)

In answer to the question, im fairly sure its not coming in from anywere else; but with out disecting the beast, i cant be sure.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Apart from the roof it's the same ... ;-)
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo