gearbox leaks

Any problems assoicated with leaks
kahram_a

gearbox leaks

Post by kahram_a »

I had an experience that I would like to share.
My TU5 206 Peugeot used to leaks from lowest part of its MA gearbox. I got its driver side drive shaft seal to be replace two times. The leaks became less, but It was persistent.
After long observation, I discovered It was from rear gear switch level seal.
There was some atricles about how we can change the seal without dismantling gearbox. However, they did not work since holding nail of rear gear fork was too tight to come out easily!
There was a little gap between the fork and gearbox shell. therefore, I used a spamspam knife and put some gearbox seal adhesive on it Then I moved the fork through the gap as the adhesive was on that side of knife that was facing gearbox shell. when I was sure that all the gap surfaces was coverd with adhasive, I moved slightly ,2mm, the level in and out of gearbox to make sure every leaking crack was covered. finally,I repeated knife job again to clean the gap and avoid sticking fork to shell.
The leak is eliminated now!
I hope you could prevent leak and save the environment.
Ali kahramfar
M. Sc. industrial Eng.
Tehran
:D

Capncol

Re: gearbox leaks

Post by Capncol »

Well done and welcome to the forum.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.