Power steering ..... could be a leak?

Any problems assoicated with leaks
Lauz-1986

Power steering ..... could be a leak?

Post by Lauz-1986 »

Hello :wave:

My power steering fluid keeps running low, and the the steering wheel making a grrrrrhhhh whiiiingy noise... but I haven't noticed a leak from anywhere...

if I go and get it checked, and they say its a leak... then whats the sort of price I should be paying? :roll:

(They will rip you off around here :o ) lol so need a bit of advice... else knowing me I will just keep topping it up every month! :rotfl:

If anyone is from the Wolverhampton Area, and knows a good place to go then im open to reccomendations :D

Many thanks :P

jackieboi206

Re: Power steering ..... could be a leak?

Post by jackieboi206 »

Hello
If you have to top up the power steering that regularly then chances are you do have a small leak somewhere.

The same thing happened to mine, it only gets worse - it got to the point where I was using a bottle of fluid every other day!

If you have a leak you have two options
;
Take it to Peugeot and have the correct pressurised piping replaced (if thats where it is leaking) - this is quite costly I think I was quoted around £250 to have this done (parts are quite expensive)
Or get a local garage to fit piping that isnt as expensive as the peugeots parts- thats what i did on mine, but it wont last anywhere near as long as the Peugeot piping as the brake fluid corrodes it, the mechanic that did mine said it would last about 4-5 years though.... and he charged me about £60 in all to sort the leak.... :lol:

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

I hope you don't put brake fluid in your power steering! It wouldn't last 5 weeks, let alone 5 years...

:yikes:
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

jackieboi206

Post by jackieboi206 »

Thanks for pointing that out Grandad, I meant power steering fluid corrodes the pipes. lol

lalacurf121

Post by lalacurf121 »

I will just keep topping it up every month! :rotfl:

convertiblefan

Re: Power steering .leak + Engine oil burning fast

Post by convertiblefan »

Hi I just drove my car to the nearby cafe and smelt something burning from my car. I drove to the garage where i had it serviced a few months ago as they told me i shouldn't need to top up engine oiil until next service.

They checked and found out the power steering pressure pipe started to leak and the engine oil was almost empty. They charged me for the engine oil top up and told me to come back in a month to see how it goes.

They told me if the engine is burning engine oil too fast, i shld get a new car it would be too costly to fix.

I really like my car and just changed all new tires. Is it that terminally ill with engine oil burning fast?
I must say i have been driving a lot more than i usually did in the past 2 mths so average about 150 miles a week or more and i never top up the oil after the service in june.

Please advise if its still save to drive with the power steering leak and engine oil burning fast. I'm about to renew my insurance in 2 weeks time and really don't want to change to another car that soon. Only had it for 2 yrs.

Tks. cara

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Something doesn't sound right .. they told you your power steering fluid was low, but topped up the engine oil?

You need a second opinion ..
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

convertiblefan

Post by convertiblefan »

no engine oil was very very low but when they serviced my car 3 months ago they told me i dont need to top up till next service so i never bothered.

but when i got there yesterday all very low below minimum so they topped it up.

Separate issue was power steering pipe leaking so this one needs to be fixed too

To make things worse, someone knocked my driver side mirror off on thur and i asked garage to fix and they glued it back and tighten it with plastic fastener.

This morning police knocked at my door telling me someone knocked my side mirror off, i went out and see it was completely off again totally smashed. It's vandalism as my street is very safe and never had any problem in the last 2 years.

Anywhere i can get second hand side mirrors? it seems cc ones not easy to find. thank you. cara

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

All you people with oil leaks that you are ignoring, please consider
A- It won't get better and will eventuly fail completely or fail an MOT.
B- Other road users! I have had the back of my bike step out on a roundabout due to spilt oil before now.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

convertiblefan

Post by convertiblefan »

thank you Capncol,

My garage told me my engine oil is not leaking only burning maybe too fast. As i was told after the service that no need to top up until next service, I never checked but someone just told me any car needs to check on a regualar basis every month in general.

Separate issue, power steering leak, not sure it's oil or fluid, they did say it could be pipe burst. I will get it fix once i know if my car engine is burning oil or naturally consumed.

Thankyou. cara

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Power steering fluid is an oil based product.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

convertiblefan

Post by convertiblefan »

Thank you capncol. Have a good day.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

convertiblefan wrote:I never checked but someone just told me any car needs to check on a regualar basis every month in general.
Weekly .. especially as you are using/losing oil ..

That will also give you an idea of whether it is burning it but that would normally be associated with blueish exhaust smoke.

They are using the correct oil I assume? Some oils last better than others .. and garages have a tendency to stick in what they have lying around ..
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

iooiuk

Post by iooiuk »

convertiblefan wrote:As i was told after the service that no need to top up until next service,
Thankyou. cara
:o

Time to find a new garage...... :thumbs:

DO people no longer get told when learning to drive about the need for regular checks on YOUR car....

Must explain why so many cars are running with lights out.... :mad: Not exactly hard to turn lights on and walk round and check. Brake lights just check in your mirror against a wall or the car behind you ;)

johnbrander

Post by johnbrander »

Just been reading the above, I've got a 2005 2.0cc that is loosing a lot of PAS fluid :yuck: , been under it today and pulled back the drivers side rack gaiter and a whole load of fluid came out, looks like the seals have gone.
Bought a Haynes manual to see just how difficult it is to change the rack over and doesn't look like a nice job to do.(5 spanner rating)
Has any one actually changed one over and what was their experience as I've heard that it really is a bast**d to do.

Cost of a new/recon rack £110 +vat plus I guess its exchange too

Do I need to remove the subframe or can I just drop it down a bit ?
Comments much appreciated.
I am a competent DIY mech having done rear subframes etc in the recent past.