Key not programming

Electrical 206CC problems
Miss Charlie

Key not programming

Post by Miss Charlie »

Hi Guys.
My 206cc has two keys and after changing the car's battery not using the correct procedure (!) :no: One key will not start the car. It previously worked fine. All key internals are present and correct and fob battery fine. I have tried to program it using the instructions in the hand book, and variation on here, but no joy. Car will turn over but I think immobiliser kicks in. No faults shown on display. After BSI re-set the other key is still working fine but no joy with this one.
Did I destroy its code when incorrectly disconnecting the battery?
Will this require a profesh to reprogram do you think?

Thanks in advance!
Charlie
Our fleet
Peugeot 206cc 1.6 16v Allure (my bit of fun)
Landrover Discovery 2 V8 4L (my workhorse)
Vauxhall VXR8 6.2 V8 (boyfriends bit of fun)

IanL

Re: Key not programming

Post by IanL »

For no reason anyone seems to know, the BSI forgets a key occasionally, and it has to be "reminded". (Quite probably, your battery disconnection was the cause) This requires the use of Peugeot Planet software and the proprietary interface between PC and car known as a Lexia or more correctly Proxia.

Now, you can buy this on EBay. The interface is usually accompanied by a CDROM with the software, which has been suitably modified for private use (to put it politely). Installation is not easy, but there are tutorials on YouTube. Use of the software to program the key is less difficult, but the precise actions depend on which version of the software you have. If you read around the subject, you will find that you cannot program with a previously programmed key, because an area of memory in the key is write-once, but the exception is if the key is being reprogrammed to the same car - the process will attempt to write the same code into the key, so it does not matter that that stage does not work.

On the Peugeot Forums, there is a map maintained of private people with the kit, who will do the job for you for an amicably negotiated fee much lower than a professional. link.

Alternatively, ring around for a pro. Specify that you don't need a new key because it's the same car, and enquire the price.

Miss Charlie

Post by Miss Charlie »

Thankyou IanL. Fantastic. Detailed advice as always!
That is what I suspected. I did have a look at Planet to possibly buy my own version but I do see someone near me who has it (Exeter). I'll give him a shout.
At least I have one key working (crossing fingers amd touching wood!).
Our fleet

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I bought my Lexia kit of aliexpress ... and the CD had more viruses than intensive care in 2021!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

gazza82 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:43 pm I bought my Lexia kit of aliexpress ... and the CD had more viruses than intensive care in 2021!
Those viruses are probably all manifestations of the modifications to make it independent of the manufacturers servers. However, it is best to use it on a old PC which never goes near the internet (it does not need to to support Planet - in fact you positively should not let it try to connect to the servers). If you use Windows XP (SP3) with no antivirus and no ethernet plugged in or wi-fi switched on, you will have no worries.

The other important tip when installing the software is not to plug the Lexia into the PC until prompted - if you disregard this, the drivers will not install correctly, and you will have to uninstall and repeat.

Miss Charlie

Post by Miss Charlie »

So the plot thickens and continues....
Had a mobile car key guy come round.He checked both keys and re-programmed one of them. Cleared fault codes (he didn't note what they were as his software doesn't list them). Checked that ignition wasn't faulty. Car ran better and behaved beautifully until 2 weeks ago.
Now it has an intermittent not starting fault. Doors open fine, alarm disarms, ignition shows all normal lights on 1st position, then when turned to start its dead. Not turning over, no faults coming up on dash. It did it to me last week and the refused to start for over an hour (previously leaving it a few minutes would solve the problem). Tried BSI re-set. No joy. Called break down. Waited an hour for them and tried the car again 15 mins before the chap arrived. Wouldn't start. Mechanic arrived and it started first go! Just a tad annoying!
So any suggestions as to what it could be please? Would a faulty BSI cause intermittent starting issues?
Our fleet

IanL

Post by IanL »

Could be a problem with the starter motor solenoid, or a dead spot on the motor commutator. Worth trying an exchange starter

Miss Charlie

Post by Miss Charlie »

Thanks Ian, thats next on the 'to try' list then.
Our fleet