Drivers Window Stuck Down...

Electrical 206CC problems
Hooflord

Drivers Window Stuck Down...

Post by Hooflord »

Hi,

I’ve got a problem with the drivers window on a 206cc. Basically, it’s wound all the way down and now won’t go back up.

I’ve tried a new switch, which hasn’t solved the issue.

I’ve taken the door card/lining off and everything seems to be in order. I can’t hear the motor grinding, so guess that’s not bust. There’s no obvious damage to wires through the door boot either.

Any ideas what else to check to fix it, or how to get the window up manually so at least it’s secure?

Thanks!
Dale.
'03 206cc 1.6 Petrol

gazza82

Re: Drivers Window Stuck Down...

Post by gazza82 »

Broken wire in the gap between door and body?
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Hooflord

Post by Hooflord »

I don’t think so. I’ve pulled the rubber boot off as far as I’m able and it looks ok.
'03 206cc 1.6 Petrol

IanL

Post by IanL »

When the door card is off, you should be able to see the window motor and the grey plug which connects to it. To try getting the window up, just apply 12V across the two contacts in the socket. If it doesn't work, reverse the connections.

The other end of the two wires goes into the Roof ECU in the boot. Try contact cleaning spray in the mating conductors.

Hooflord

Post by Hooflord »

Thanks, alas no joy with the direct 12v. Bit of a bodge connection to get in there though.

Will pick up some contact cleaner and give that a go, though guess that’ll be tomorrow now...
'03 206cc 1.6 Petrol

Hooflord

Post by Hooflord »

Managed to get hold of some contact cleaner too... still no joy.

Think the new switch might be dodgy though, as it started dropping the passenger window as soon as the ignition was switched on. Swapped it back out for the original, and got a proper one coming instead of some Chinese aftermarket thing. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the help so far. :)
'03 206cc 1.6 Petrol

IanL

Post by IanL »

I'm afraid that, if direct 12V did not work, the motor is dead.

IanL

Post by IanL »

I'm afraid that, if direct 12V did not work, the motor is dead.

You could measure the voltage between the wires which go to the motor, whilst operating the raise control. If the 12V is present, that would confirm the problem is in the motor.

Hooflord

Post by Hooflord »

Ok, I was clearly not thinking very well yesterday. Managed to get the 12v to the motor, so now the window is up!

The wires seem to be getting 12v too...
:)
Fingers crossed for the switch.
'03 206cc 1.6 Petrol

IanL

Post by IanL »

Hmmm. If the motor works with 12V applied, and the wires have 12V when the control switch is operated, the problem must be in the connector you have unplugged to do the tests. I have had this issue before ;)

Hooflord

Post by Hooflord »

So the replacement switch arrived today, and made no difference.

One thing I did realize today (which I probably noticed before, but overlooked), is the rear quarter doesn’t come down. Could that be part of the cause? Just wondering if the fact it doesn’t do a full ‘down’ maybe it can’t go up? I can hear clicking when the switch it switched, so guess something’s getting there but not being actioned. I don’t much fancy pulling the seats and rear trim out to have a look if it’s not likely to be needed.
'03 206cc 1.6 Petrol

IanL

Post by IanL »

Hooflord wrote:So the replacement switch arrived today, and made no difference.

One thing I did realize today (which I probably noticed before, but overlooked), is the rear quarter doesn’t come down. Could that be part of the cause? Just wondering if the fact it doesn’t do a full ‘down’ maybe it can’t go up? I can hear clicking when the switch it switched, so guess something’s getting there but not being actioned. I don’t much fancy pulling the seats and rear trim out to have a look if it’s not likely to be needed.
You have a point there. I don't know for sure, but I have always believed that the Roof ECU monitors the rear window motor current, to decide when to raise the front. The usual problem with the rear is the cord and pulley system - you can get cheap replacement kits on EBay.

Hooflord

Post by Hooflord »

Guess I’ll be stopping some seats out then... :facepalm:
'03 206cc 1.6 Petrol

Hooflord

Post by Hooflord »

The plot thickens...

The problem is almost certainly in the rear quarter. Took the seats out and removed the trim etc.

The lining has already been removed previously, the grey socket on the motor side is chewed up (guessing the previous owner had to connect it to the battery to get the window up), and the cable seem slack but attached.

I haven’t had time to test it before needing to leave for work, as I’m. It sure I have long enough leads to jump it back up if it doesn’t work.

How easy is the cable/pulley repair kit to change? It seems more the access to get at it seems the problem?
'03 206cc 1.6 Petrol

Hooflord

Post by Hooflord »

Hi again,

So... the replacement pulley system arrived and I finally had time to sort it today. The guides on here were super useful to take the window regulator out! I managed to swap the bits over relatively easily, though it’s a bit of a faff to get the cables right.

With some wriggling it all went back in together, and I know have working windows! :D

The roof doesn’t work but that’s for another day...

Thanks for the advice!
'03 206cc 1.6 Petrol