Brief loss of power and unexpected lock downs when starting

Electrical 206CC problems
rafael.torner

Brief loss of power and unexpected lock downs when starting

Post by rafael.torner »

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 206cc, and recently I've been having some electrical issues.

The first time I had issues was on April 25th, when after coming out of the cinema, I approached the car and pressed the remote button to unlock, but nothing happened. I took a look inside and the alarm light was off. After hesitating triggering the alarm by opening without disarming, I opened the car using the key, but only the driver's door opened and the passengers remain locked. The alarm didn't go off, no lights came on and when I put the key in the ignition, nothing happened. I fiddled around for a while, exited the car and used the key again, and now the car started without a problem.

This has happened a few times since then, maybe around 8 times in all, and I thought it was the battery just dying, but it is a new battery and after some tries, it starts fine.

Another issue (which I assume is related) is that when driving, certain actions have caused the car instruments to turn off briefly, losing power to the radio, lights on the dash turning on and off almost immediately, and error messages that go from "Passenger Airbag fault", "ABS fault" and today, "Brake fault". The actions that I've noticed trigger these issues are mainly turning on high beams or using the turn signals, and today for the first time it happened as I was cruising on the highway and I did nothing, which seems rather dangerous.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing it might be the computer or the locking mechanism. What can I do?

Thanks for your time in advance, it is massively appreciated!

IanL

Re: Brief loss of power and unexpected lock downs when start

Post by IanL »

It is probably an electrical supply issue - perhaps a bad or intermittent contact. Try the shunt on the BSI first, as others have found that to be a source of problems. Also try removing and reseating all fuses, including the superfuses under the engine compartment fusebox. Give the contacts a spray of contact cleaner.

Also check all earths for good clean contact. The one which attaches to the gearbox is a favourite for trouble.

rafael.torner

Post by rafael.torner »

(Deleted)
Last edited by rafael.torner on Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rafael.torner

Post by rafael.torner »

Thank you very much, Ian! When you say "try the shunt on the BSI", should I remove and reseat or replace it? Removing and reseating all fauses sounds straight forward enough, but what do I spray the contact cleaner onto, the fuses or the sockets?

I did install some wiring for a dashcam that needed grounding, and I connected it to the factory earths next to the drivers seat, near the door. Could that be the issue? When I started having these issues, I disconnected the dashcam from the fusebox.

If anytone else have any other ideas, please do let me know.

IanL

Post by IanL »

I would spray the contacts on the fuses, and a brief spray into the sockets as well. Do not rely on visual inspection of the fuses and the shunt. Measure the resistance with an meter.

To check the earths, you really need to ensure that you get bright, clean metal-to-metal contact between conductor and body part.

rafael.torner

Post by rafael.torner »

Hi Ian, thanks for the detailed suggestion! I was actually able to figure out what the issue was: when the battery was last changed, the metal strap holding it wasn't tightened enough and the battery was moving around, so the cable to the negative terminal of the battery became lose. I did the BSI reset procedure, tightened the negative and positive cables and finally, centered the battery and tightened the metal strap. All issues are now gone!

Thanks for your time once again!

IanL

Post by IanL »

:thumbs: