New Message on Screen?

Electrical 206CC problems
Lady Python

New Message on Screen?

Post by Lady Python »

My car popped up a message on the screen yesterday I haven't seen before. I'd just put on the handbrake when parking for the night and it said "Handbrake On". The message was gone in seconds. First time I've seen that and it hasn't done it today.

Couple of things that don't work. The CD changer in the boot and the heated rear screen. Also when I put the roof up or down, there is no "ding" but everything works fine there.

For the past couple of days, when turning on the ignition I've heard a whirring noise and slight "clunk" coming from the boot - the same sound my old Daewoo Musso 4x4 used to make - it was the CD changer doing its thing. Haven't heard the sound today.

I'm thinking there's a loose connection somewhere in the rear but where would I start looking for it? Any suggestions please?

Lady Python

Re: New Message on Screen?

Post by Lady Python »

No suggestions? Anyone?

IanL

Post by IanL »

The "handbrake on" normally comes on if you attempt to move the car with the handbrake on. It should not come on with the car stationary. If it has only happened once, it's just a glitch - random error. Nothing to be done.

My roof randomly doesn't ding when it should - I have learned to live with it. If it was one of the microswitches, the roof operation would be affected, and it isn't. Does the "key left in the ignition" beep work when you switch off and open the driver's door? If so, nothing wrong with the sounds emitter. If it does not, the problem may be in the COM2000, the stalk unit below the steering wheel.

HRW - check Fuse 10 in the BSI (cabin fuse panel).

CD changer - they all fail in the end, and no-one wants to repair them. You could try for a used replacement on eBay, but that could fail as well, after a short time. I have a Yatour digital player, which plugs into the CD changer socket at the back of the radio - supports six folders each with 99 tracks. Controls as for the CD changer - brilliant.

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Thanks Ian. The handbrake on message was probably a glitch but nice to know it comes on. Not the first time in my old Corsa I didn't take the handbrake off properly :hmm:

The roof not "dinging" doesn't bother me as it's obvious by the clunk that it's fully down. Same on the way back up.

Take the key out of the ignition and leaving the lights on...silence so the Comm2000 unit is dodgy, Knew that anyway and will try and find a replacement at some point.

As for the CD changer, not too worried about that as the car has a single CD up front and I mostly listen to Classic FM on the radio. If I go on a long journey, I'll just stick my Bluetooth Jam speaker in and use my MP3 player - what I used to do in the Corsa. Works fine.

Checked all the fuses inside and they're OK. One other thing that doesn't work is the heated rear screen and heated mirrors. The light on the control panel doesn't come on either so think there might be a loose connection somewhere. Again, just niggles rather than anything serious.

IanL

Post by IanL »

HRW and mirrors could be a dodgy switch if the fuse is ok. How did you check it? Visual inspection can be deceptive - you could swap it with Fuse 18 in the engine compartment fusebox - they are both 40A. Ideally test it with a meter on the ohms range,

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

The interior fuse box was hanging loose and some of the fuses weren't seated right. Pushed them down firmly and put the fusebox back where it was supposed to be. Friend of a friend is a mechanic so I'll get him to have a look when he's not too busy. Interior of car heats up quickly and any ice on the rear screen disappears fairly fast. Usually wipe any frost off the wing mirrors anyway. Will probably get it fixed before winter sets in properly (although it feels we're having a long, drawn out winter now instead of summer!)