Battery box

Electrical 206CC problems
Luditus

Battery box

Post by Luditus »

More of a mystery than a problem.
I have just replaced my battery with the Bosch recommended S4 52AH. I noticed that it is shorter than the old one (Also Bosch). Further investigation has revealed that my old battery was for 2 litre cars and my new one for 1.6 litre. I have a 1.6 litre car. The old battery fitted perfectly in the box - the new one has a large gap at one end.
Question 1. Should the gap be at the back in order for the cooling air to circulate more freely, or the front to avoid shifting on severe braking (impact)?
Question 2. Are there two sizes of boxes, and did the 1.6 automatic have the larger for some reason?

rhume

Re: Battery box

Post by rhume »

I'd put it at the back of the box and put some packing in to stop it moving. All battery boxes would be made to the largest size probably to save cost.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find myself the owner of 2 silver Peugeots: 206cc Allure and a 4007 (7 seat 4x4)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Also depends who recommended it .. some have a habit of recommending the wrong one .. the CC batteries are taller than the hatchback as well ..
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Luditus

Post by Luditus »

Thanks for the replies. At the moment the battery is about equidistant from each end, whilst a suitable block of wood is being furnished to place at the front end. I sourced both the old and new battery from Euro Car Parts, so unless their website has changed in the last 6 years (quite likely), I assumed I would get an identical replacement. The automatic has its ECU bolted onto the back of the box leaving little room for the brake reservoir behind it. A shorter box would have made the reservoir more accessible, which lead me to think that the automatic ought to have the longer battery. Any way, I'm happy to use what I've got.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

If the battery is not secure, it's an MOT failure.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Luditus

Post by Luditus »

The only security that I see is the diagonal strap over the top. There is no register for the strap on the battery, so without any packing pieces there is only stiction preventing fore and aft movement. :(

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

That works ok until you get delivered the lower height battery by Halfords or the like!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Luditus

Post by Luditus »

Even more packing then? What a bodge! :?

IanL

Post by IanL »

I have a 1.6 automatic. There doesn't seem to be a battery box as such; the battery rests on a plate and appears to be clamped down by using the flanges on the sides. It's a big battery, and fits on the plate with no room to spare.

Luditus

Post by Luditus »

Yet another variant then? Since my first posting, I've been on a number of battery websites, and on a few (where they are facilitated), I have found that if I input my vehicle type, the result is the battery that I now have. If, however, I input my vehicle reg., then my old (longer) battery comes up. Unfortunately the Euro car parts site made no such differentiation. So, in a nut shell, I have the wrong battery due to duff software - I reckon.