P0606 ECU recurring error

Electrical 206CC problems
goltho

P0606 ECU recurring error

Post by goltho »

This just started a couple of days ago, along with:

P0204 (cyl 4 injector open circuit)
P0215 (engine shutoff solenoid malfunction)
P0325 (knock sensor 1, bank 1)

I'm wondering if these other three could be false positives if the ECU is faulty? Anyone else experienced a P0606? The car sounds and feels perfectly all right. :?

Footnote: A few days ago, I had an Immobiliser error when working on upgrading the headlights, and the engine wouldn't turn over (acted like a flat battery which it had given no signs of). I finally tried a jump-start which worked although there was then an Economy Mode error. Switched off and restarted without a problem. I was under the impression that the BSI deals with those faults... but maybe not?

Also: Noticed this morning that the brake lights are stuck on. Haven't checked that out yet but maybe part of the issue?
Jan 2004 (53) 206cc/1.6L Allure/83k/black

IanL

Re: P0606 ECU recurring error

Post by IanL »

Multiple false indications can be caused by starting with a low battery. The starter takes so much that there isn't enough to satisfy the electronics.

Charge the battery, clear the faults and see if any of them come back.

goltho

Post by goltho »

IanL wrote:Multiple false indications can be caused by starting with a low battery. The starter takes so much that there isn't enough to satisfy the electronics.

Charge the battery, clear the faults and see if any of them come back.
Thanks Ian. The car's been run for 4 days so the battery is now fully charged (assuming no fault with it). I've cleared the faults three times earlier today. The P0606 returns immediately with ignition-on rescan. P0204 & P0215 return immediately with engine-running rescan. P0325 hasn't returned today.

Ignore the brake-light issue. I'm certain I've caused that when faffing about with the bonnet-pull lever two days ago, right next to the switch. :roll:

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

As Ian has said, Check battery, or if it's getting on replace it. These cars are very fickle on voltage, and batteries don't perform as well in cold weather.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

goltho

Post by goltho »

Thanks Col. Are there any inherent dangers (e.g. ECU) to boost-starting? I'm thinking of clearing the codes again, jumping from another car, then checking to see if the faults recur under those circumstances. I know I can simply charge the battery but I don't have a load tester and judging by its going (and remaining) straight from apparent-flat to apparent-normal during the previous jump-start, I'd like to rule out a cell issue.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Yes you have to be careful jump starting. Can you not swap the other battery on to the car temporarily?
If you do jump start, connect it up first, start up, and disconnect after shut down to be safe.If you need to disconnect once running, put a lot of electrical load on to reduce chance of voltage spike, so things like main beam, heater fan on max, and brake lights.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.