p1337 Code on cold starts

Electrical 206CC problems
Daiced

p1337 Code on cold starts

Post by Daiced »

So here we go again every year when winter hits my Peugeot starts complaining. So basically when it's really cold out and i go to start the car it first starts up great and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong, but after about 30 seconds the engine runs really rough and uneven on idle. At the same time the CEL light starts flashing and when the code is read it's the p1337. But then if i turn the car off and on again everything is back to normal and it doesn't complain until the next really cold start which usually is the next morning.

What should i suspect and what can i test? Because i'm in the north of Sweden right now where it's really cold but i'm heading home in 2 weeks which is in the south of Sweden where the isn't as cold. So i need to pinpoint the problem so i can fix it when i get home, since spare parts might be difficult to get up here.

Any thoughts?

Daiced

Re: p1337 Code on cold starts

Post by Daiced »

Well of course i forgot to mention which car it is... It's a 206 sport 2005 1,6l.

IanL

Post by IanL »

P1337 is the camshaft position sensor. If the sensor is not delivering good data, that would account for the rough running. The fact that it only happens on cold start suggests the issue is marginal, so I would first check the cleanliness and security of the CPS connector - maybe a clean with contact cleaning spray (NOT WD40) will help.

If not that, you could try a new CPS. They are cheap, and only one small bolt to undo. Otherwise, check the wiring from CPS to the engine ECU - maybe a poor connection.

Daiced

Post by Daiced »

IanL wrote:P1337 is the camshaft position sensor. If the sensor is not delivering good data, that would account for the rough running. The fact that it only happens on cold start suggests the issue is marginal, so I would first check the cleanliness and security of the CPS connector - maybe a clean with contact cleaning spray (NOT WD40) will help.

If not that, you could try a new CPS. They are cheap, and only one small bolt to undo. Otherwise, check the wiring from CPS to the engine ECU - maybe a poor connection.

Where can i find the cps on the nfu engine?

IanL

Post by IanL »

Item 6 (actually, it's the crankshaft position sensor on this engine):

Daiced

Post by Daiced »

IanL wrote:Item 6 (actually, it's the crankshaft position sensor on this engine):

Okay thanks for the help and info, i'll have a look at it tomorrow to se if there are any signs of damage. Otherwise i'll just order a new one.

Daiced

Post by Daiced »

IanL wrote:Item 6 (actually, it's the crankshaft position sensor on this engine):

So i removed the crankshaft sensor to see which one to order and i came across this. The crankshaft is missing some teeth, is this normal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

That's how the sensor knows when it is TDC ... so counts the revolutions
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Daiced

Post by Daiced »

gazza82 wrote:That's how the sensor knows when it is TDC ... so counts the revolutions
Oh.. well okay i've learned something new today then :D
I'll order a new sensor and hope it solve the issue

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I doubt it's the crank pos sensor. They usually work or not and usually fail when hot. When did it last have a set of plugs? What grade oil are you running?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Daiced

Post by Daiced »

Capncol wrote:I doubt it's the crank pos sensor. They usually work or not and usually fail when hot. When did it last have a set of plugs? What grade oil are you running?
The plugs are about 1 year old and the oil is the recommended 5w-30

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

What make of plugs? NGKs don't work properly with some make of coilpacks (Sagem I think)
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Daiced

Post by Daiced »

No clue, bought the once recommended at the auto parts store, i can check them tomorrow. But shouldn't there be more issues if its the plugs rather than only when it's freezing cold?

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Depends if the code is true. Not all code readers give a proper code ... I've seen some weird ones with 'off the shelf' code readers and sometimes it needs to be Peugeot specific.

Seems to be similar story for Renault. Even AA code readers can be way off ....
Last edited by gazza82 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Back to basics. If you can get live data from your code reader. Immediately from a cold start, look at the fuel trim, IAT and coolant temp. and let us know readings versus ambient air temp. I suspect it may be a little lean on start up.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.