EPROM odometer chip changing

Electrical 206CC problems
goltho

EPROM odometer chip changing

Post by goltho »

Has anyone successfully unsoldered and replaced the EPROM odometer chip on the speedo board? I've bought a replacement low-mileage 52 plate car to replace wifey's 05 higher-mileage one and she doesn't like the red-on-white dash instruments (neither do I, hard to read when lit). I can get a replacement black-background cluster with a 10%-higher mileage odometer which will probably do, but I'd like to know if anyone's changed the chip over. Also want to double-check my understanding that connecting a new odometer chip will irreversibly cause the mileage to show the higher of the chip and the BSI?

Thanks.
Jan 2004 (53) 206cc/1.6L Allure/83k/black

IanL

Re: EPROM odometer chip changing

Post by IanL »

goltho wrote: .. Also want to double-check my understanding that connecting a new odometer chip will irreversibly cause the mileage to show the higher of the chip and the BSI?
That is generally correct. However, there is a process known to a few experts, called "virginising" the BSI, which, I understand, wipes all memory areas. The BSI then has to be reprogrammed to the car's confiiguration, and I assume it will adopt whatever mileage is on the odometer.

I haven't heard of virginising the odometer.

There are some differences (other than cosmetic) in speedos of different years. Hopefully, a newer one will be compatible with an older car, but perhaps not the other way round?

goltho

Post by goltho »

Thanks for that. I assume virginising will involve software which I don't have and therefore cost and more work, so that process doesn't really appeal.

It appears quite simple to unsolder the chip off the speedo board and replace it with a lower-mileage one which will then be synced with the BSI in the usual way. I'd like to find someone who has successfully done it first though!

Regarding compatibility, 9651741580 seems to be the most frequent part number sold on eBay, with several coming from 206 CCs of similar ages to mine. I've found two clusters with similar mileages to mine and one with much lower. That one however is from a 2006 sport HDi diesel 1.6 which is about as different as you can get, and has no part number. Anyone confirm that 9651741580 is correct for a late 2002 2.0?

goltho

Post by goltho »

Well I got it all resolved. :)

SWMBO decided that she can in fact live with the red-on-white instruments and doesn't want them changed. Co-incidentally I happened to lose my voice at that exact moment and could not therefore ask her if she was sure.

The End. :excite:

IanL

Post by IanL »

Definitely a good outcome :thumbs: