rear window broken, raise door window?

Electrical 206CC problems
Wulfara

rear window broken, raise door window?

Post by Wulfara »

Hello! My 206cc's left rear window broke, the window engine works but the steel wire and the guide reel are damaged.

I have unmounted the window mechanism and ordered the replacement parts. The problem is that the door's window (the big one) is opened and won't raise with the rear window broken. The parts will take 2 weeks to arrive and I don't want to left my car in the street with the left windows opened.

So is there a way to raise the door window with the little rear window broken?

Excuse me for my bad English.

Thank you!

rhume

Re: rear window broken, raise door window?

Post by rhume »

I presume that there is a microswitch that tells the computer system that the window is raised. If you can find this and close the contact the front window should raise. This is likely to be built into the raising mechanism somewhere.. You might have to plug the motor back in.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find myself the owner of 2 silver Peugeots: 206cc Allure and a 4007 (7 seat 4x4)

IanL

Post by IanL »

Actually, I don't think that's the case. One of my rear windows sticks halfway occasionally, the front window still goes up, When that happens I have to lower them both and start again, I think the front window probably starts to go up when the roof ECU sees the rear window motor current has stopped/reduced.

Perhaps it would be possible to allow the rear window motor to run for a bit, and then stop it by hand. If my theory is correct, the front window should then go up. Otherwise, just apply 12V directly to the front window motor.

rhume

Post by rhume »

Now you mention it I should have thought of that as on a couple of occasions the rear one has not completed but the front has finished. At that point the rear wont work till they are both lowered. :oops:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find myself the owner of 2 silver Peugeots: 206cc Allure and a 4007 (7 seat 4x4)

Wulfara

Post by Wulfara »

IanL wrote:Actually, I don't think that's the case. One of my rear windows sticks halfway occasionally, the front window still goes up, When that happens I have to lower them both and start again, I think the front window probably starts to go up when the roof ECU sees the rear window motor current has stopped/reduced.

Perhaps it would be possible to allow the rear window motor to run for a bit, and then stop it by hand. If my theory is correct, the front window should then go up. Otherwise, just apply 12V directly to the front window motor.
Your theory is correct! The car thinks the windows are raised or lowered when the window engine won't rotate anymore in the appropiate direction. Before I unmounted the window I was able to "cheat" it by holding very strong the broken steel wires with a tool. But now with the mechanism unmounted I cannot stop the engine. Also it is very strong and I'm afraid I'll brake it or hurt myself trying.

It is my fault to unmount the rear window with the front one lowered :facepalm: I'm a novice in car mechanics (I'm trying to learn from the issues of my own car) and I was not expecting my replacement parts to be wrong. Now I'm stuck with the windows lowered and waiting for the new parts to arrive so I posted here wondering if there is some king of "emergency window rise" like there is for the roof.

By the way all this issue with the rear window is in order to fix the convertible roof which I love to retract :dance: and won't work with the window broken.

Thank you for your answers!

IanL

Post by IanL »

Well, if you can't hold the rear window motor stationary, the only thing I can think of is to unplug the front window motor, and put 12 Volts into it. It only has two connections, so try one way, and if it doesn't go up, reverse the connections.

The relevant wire numbers are 6061 and 6071.