Starting issues

Electrical 206CC problems
Sid

Starting issues

Post by Sid »

Good afternoon,

Yesterday out of the blue, my 2003 206cc (1.6 petrol) wouldnt start,

the battery is working well and is fully charged, i would turn the key and nothing no clicking no cranking just quite. so i proceeded to bump start the car and it started up fine.

i searched the forum and such for starter information and to locate the starter, so i could firstly check the wiring in case anything has come loose etc.
so i removed the airhose of sorts (that goes from the throttle body to the front right (as you look at the engine bay) filter box (it runs between the battery and the engine) looking around in there i have located a loose wire connector and for the life of me cant figure out where it plugs into... ive stretched the wire out far as it goes so to speak and cant find a place to plug it in.
wire.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

George 206cc

Re: Starting issues

Post by George 206cc »

Hi Sid

I'm no expert but that connector looks a little bit like the connector that plugs into the reverse light switch that screws into the gearbox, which is around where you found the wire.

Might be worth just running a very quick check, do your reverse light work?

IanL

Post by IanL »

Does the dash light up when the key is turned to the first (auxiliary) position?

One possibility is that the ignition key switch unit is defective, and is not sending power to the starter solenoid. There are (I think) four separate switches in the unit. You need to check at the solenoid if it gets power when the key is turned to start. If it does not, I believe the switch part of the unit can be replaced, but the "key socket" part retained, so you will not have to change your keys.

Sid

Post by Sid »

George 206cc wrote:Hi Sid

I'm no expert but that connector looks a little bit like the connector that plugs into the reverse light switch that screws into the gearbox, which is around where you found the wire.

Might be worth just running a very quick check, do your reverse light work?
Reverse light works fine, no issue there..
IanL wrote:Does the dash light up when the key is turned to the first (auxiliary) position?

One possibility is that the ignition key switch unit is defective, and is not sending power to the starter solenoid. There are (I think) four separate switches in the unit. You need to check at the solenoid if it gets power when the key is turned to start. If it does not, I believe the switch part of the unit can be replaced, but the "key socket" part retained, so you will not have to change your keys.
The Lights of the dash light up without problem,
as soon as i turn the key all lights turn on as they would with a proper start.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

I'd go for the obvious and replace the 15 year old starter motor.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

rhume

Post by rhume »

you could try taking it off and connecting it to 12v supply to see if it spins. Then you know if fault is starter or wiring.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find myself the owner of 2 silver Peugeots: 206cc Allure and a 4007 (7 seat 4x4)

Sid

Post by Sid »

GrandadMonkey wrote:I'd go for the obvious and replace the 15 year old starter motor.
thats where i am going with it..
but my concern is more the random blue wire with no place to go... :D

Sid

Post by Sid »

Starter replaced and all is well in the world...

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Well done, I thought that would be it. Thanks for feeding back the outcome.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)