Brake Fault on MFD and handbrake/wear warning light

Electrical 206CC problems
TommyTauWau

Brake Fault on MFD and handbrake/wear warning light

Post by TommyTauWau »

I've been searching for a solution to this issue I've had. When I first got the car the brakes were beyond dead. Replaced them all round with new. There were no wear sensors on any of the corners so I didnt think it had them. The car then blew a brake line which I had renewed from the abs pump to the opposite corner of the car. Brakes are now fine and the pedal is good. Never at all gave an ABS warning. It did give the low brake fluid warning which was obviously due to the blown brake line. Everything is mechanically ok as far as I am aware now but immediately on engine start I get beeps and brake fault on the MFD and also the flashing stop on the Speedo. Anyone have any input or link me to any post that has dealt with this as the car is now mint other than this problem...... and the rattly manifold I am yet to tackle. Thanks

Edit. Fluid level is fine and had it on a snap on fault code reader that showed no current faults.

IanL

Re: Brake Fault on MFD and handbrake/wear warning light

Post by IanL »

ABS fault warning can be caused by low battery volts. Give the battery a good charge and see if it helps.

TommyTauWau

Post by TommyTauWau »

Battery is less than 12 months old.

IanL

Post by IanL »

And how old are the alternator brushes?

TommyTauWau

Post by TommyTauWau »

I would guess about the same age as the rest of the alternator.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

TommyTauWau wrote:Battery is less than 12 months old.
And used everyday or left to go flat? Once flat then tge life is very much shorter.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

TommyTauWau wrote:I would guess about the same age as the rest of the alternator.
The point is that the alternator may not be charging sufficiently, so your battery may slowly be dropping in charge despite it's relative newness Either charge it, or measure the voltage across the terminals with the engine running.

IanL

Post by IanL »

gazza82 wrote:
TommyTauWau wrote:Battery is less than 12 months old.
And used everyday or left to go flat? Once flat then tge life is very much shorter.
Agreed. If the car is infrequently used, the battery should be charged at least once a month to prolong its life. My Suzuki Cappuccino only gets a run once or twice a month, less in Winter. It used to need a new battery every year, until I learned the charging discipline. Its current battery is 5 years old and still going strong.

Rubyoptics

Post by Rubyoptics »

Sorry for the complete off-topic, but would you mind PM'ing me your thoughts on the Suzuki Ian? Looking for a small summer car for the missus for her birthday next year and would love to get your opinions!
2003 2.0. Dyno'd @ 134BHP. 2.5" full stainless exhaust system, lexus style rear lights, LED sidelights and interiors. Latest mod - Full stainless steel Group N gear linkages.

TommyTauWau

Post by TommyTauWau »

Thanks foe the replies. Car used every day. Its my daily driver. Wife passed her test and she's got the new car. I've never looked back! I have been looking and not sure if this car should have brake wear indicator or not. I didn't remove one when I renewed the brake pads and discs. But when I bought it it did have the low brake fluid warning. Once this was repaired I had the brake fault on the MFD and the flashing stop on the dash along with the wear indicator light/hand brake light. Should a 2001 have a wear sensor or not?

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I don't think our 2001 did. My old Alfa did and the wire fell out of the pad. It only earths it via the disc so not having one isn't a problem.

But the pad wear indicator wouldn't trigger the abs light either.

You might need a different diagnostic ... not all read the faults on the older pre-plex .. even snap-on. It's before the eu standardised ... but peugeot/citroen still got around most of that!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

TommyTauWau

Post by TommyTauWau »

To clarify. There is no ABS warning light. There never has been

IanL

Post by IanL »

If your car has ABS but does not have a dedicated ABS warning lamp, then I expect an ABS fault to trigger the brake warning.

Have you measured the alternator output voltage?

TommyTauWau

Post by TommyTauWau »

It has the Amber abs lamp that illuminates when ignition is switched on and goes out once engine starts as it should. ABS works and pump kicks in when you anchor on.