12V lighter power by ignition switch

Electrical 206CC problems
MartinMax

12V lighter power by ignition switch

Post by MartinMax »

Hi All,

I just bought a 2001 206cc 2.0. I noticed that the lighter socket is powered all the time, regardless of ignition switch.

I plan to power some audio options through the socket and would like to change it to work only with ignition ON. Any experience or ideas?
---------------------------
2001 206cc 2.0 S16
Silver with matte black accents...

Artermis

Re: 12V lighter power by ignition switch

Post by Artermis »

What audio kit are you wanting to add?

Piggybacking off the cigar lighter isn't really the ideal way to go about powering additional devices.

Doing this places additional strain on the cigar lighter circuit which it wasn't really intended for and means that when you do actually come to using the lighter to power a device like a phone or satnav you run a greater chance of overloading the circuit and blowing a fuse.

Increasing the fuse rating isn't a valid option because the wiring is only capable of so much load; overloading the wiring will cause it to deteriorate, probably melt and short out or at worst set fire to your car. If you've not been in a car fire before, trust me as I have, they're incredibly unpleasant.

The best option for you is a device known as an add-a-fuse. Halfords sell them for a few quid and they're rated for up to 10 amps. Check the current draw of your device to decide if this is enough. if it isn't, running of the cigar lighter is a properly bad idea anyway.

These work by plugging into the fuse board, so find a 10amp or less fuse on the fuse board that is ignition dependant and all this in. It'll still power and fuse the original circuit but then given you an additional fused spur to play with.
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

Hi Artemis,

Thanks for the excellent pointers regarding pigybacking on the cigar lighter.
This info should be used as a guide for anyone thinking of doing such thing.

However, for my plans, I was thinking or removing the lighter completely (THIS IS A NONSMOKING CAR) and powering a simple Bluetooth hands free module from it so no more than 2-300mA. The socket location is in a good position and the adapter already has the power plug for 12V. I was thinking of putting a relay switch and using the ignition signal as trigger.

This is to serve as temporary solution until spring when I will change the complete audio system to new HU, speakers and sub, then the 12V lighter socket will become utility only (phone charger, camera etc.). However, when I get to that point, the post will go in to the I.C.E. section.
2001 206cc 2.0 S16

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

Trying to revive a previous topic...
The lighter socket as it is now is constantly ON.

I would like to have it ON only when the ignition is ON, otherwise to be turned off (no voltage).

Any ideas? Can something be possibly done via the fuse box?
2001 206cc 2.0 S16

IanL

Post by IanL »

You can disconnect the existing supply from the socket, and run a new wire from the fusebox, using the piggyback technique suggested above.