Haunted engine

Electrical 206CC problems
waheyluggage

Haunted engine

Post by waheyluggage »

Hi. I have a 55 plate 206cc allure and have had problems with the engine cutting out. It only happens when the clutch has just gone down and I'm at relatively low speeds. It then restarts fairly quickly and won't happen again for another couple of weeks.

I did manage to get a video of it trying to restart though...
Not sure how to post a video but it's on YouTube dot com then /BEhtnES7ff8 on the end.

It's like I turn the key. The engine fires up and the revs go up to about 1000 then drop right down again and the battery light comes on with a loud click. This happens a few times and then it gives up. I'm not pressing anything and the revs go up on their own. It's well strange.

I then start it again but give it a few revs and you see it go to 2000 and then it settles and it's ok.

I've put it through the diagnostic thing and it complained about a thermostat which I've had replaced.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Capncol

Re: Haunted engine

Post by Capncol »

Could be a sticky throttle body
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

waheyluggage

Post by waheyluggage »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is that something that could be causing the cutting out when the clutch goes in as well? Just read up on the symptoms and I do sometimes get a 'buck' when accelerating, usually just as I'm in second. I hope it's this - the car is running absolutely fine now and doesn't show up any issues apart from this cutting out that's been bugging me for a while.

Thanks!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Try cleaning it with carb clean (best done with it removed to get to both sides)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

waheyluggage

Post by waheyluggage »

Thanks, it's due a service in the next few weeks so I've dropped it off at the garage for them to sort while doing that. He also checked for error codes and it came up with an intermittent problem with the engine manifold so going to sort that as well - is that a possible cause as well? Hopefully one of these will fix it!

Thanks for your help.

waheyluggage

Post by waheyluggage »

Still have the same problem... So far I've had the throttle body cleaned, something to do with the engine manifold replaced, a full service, a thermostat that that was being reported as an intermittant fault with the diagnostics tool replaced, the throttle recalibrated but it still happens.

There is a pattern to what causes it, it just doesn't happen that often, maybe once every couple of weeks. When I'm coasting to a stop at lights or coming to an island, when I put the cutch in the engine revs drop really quickly and too far so it just cuts out. If I try and restart it, even with the clutch down it will just cut out. If I give it a quick burst of revs then it will start ok. After that it won't happen again for another few weeks.

www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=BEhtnES7ff8

Not sure what to try next.

Thanks!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Was it the MAF sensor replaced? If not try that (assuming you have no air leaks on the intake)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Crankshaft sensor can give a fault like this without throwing up a code. Not to expensive to try and see if that helps.