Changing sparkplugs

Electrical 206CC problems
David C

Changing sparkplugs

Post by David C »

Hi there,

This is probably a ridiculous problem, but I have a 206cc with a 1.6 injection engine... (Quiksilver) and want to change the spark plugs as a first attempt at figuring out a problem (CAT converter fault, engine vibration at idle, engine cuts out, lack of power, the works....)

The really silly bit of the problem is that on opening the bonnet, this is the first car I've ever owned where I can't see the ruddy spark plugs...

Ridiculous I know, but where the heck are they, and what do I have to remove first to get to them?

David C

Re: Changing sparkplugs

Post by David C »

D'oh! Sorry, found them - was looking in the wrong place - at the back of the engine... Found them eventually, between the camshafts...

Now I just need a 600lb gorilla to get the damn things out! Anyone got one hanging around the back of their garage?

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

They shouldn't be that bad to get out, the tightening torque is only 18 lbf ft (25 Nm).

Use Peugeot plugs if buying from your Peugeot dealer, or Bosch ones if buying elsewhere.

The Haynes manual says to renew them every 40,000 miles (or 4 years if sooner) but I had to change ours at 27,000 because the car was becoming jerky around town (the car was then 8 years old though). I used Peugeot Bosch R6 plugs bought from my local Peugeot main dealer.

Hope it cures your performance issues David. I used only quality fuels (BP Ultimate, Shell V Power Nitro+), never supermarket petrol. Annual oil and oil filter changes help to keep them running right, with a new air filter at the same time as the spark plugs. Make sure you get the air filter housing closed properly. If you don't it has been known for the air filter to get soaked during wet weather driving, which ruins it.

Oh and welcome to the forum too.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

David C wrote:D'oh! Sorry, found them - was looking in the wrong place - at the back of the engine... Found them eventually, between the camshafts...

Now I just need a 600lb gorilla to get the damn things out! Anyone got one hanging around the back of their garage?

What are you using to try and remove them?
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

David C

Post by David C »

Sorted the problem eventually - was using a cheap spark plug removing arm with very short arms, borrowed one where I could apply a bit more torque and they eventually came out...

Turns out the plugs weren't the problem though...

Took it to one garage and he swore it was "a problem with the valves" and would require a complete engine stripdown and rebuild at over €2500...

Then took it to someone else, who plugged in a laptop and diagnosed a faulty coil within 5 minutes... He got hold of the part for me and had it fitted within 24 hours - cost me an hour's labour, on top of the €160 for the new coil - but a lot cheaper than a complete engine re-build...

Runs perfectly well now.
(For a 12 year old car that was originally owned by several Italians!)

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Well done - and thanks for feeding back the outcome.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)