New radio/cd/DAB

Electrical 206CC problems
goldmister

New radio/cd/DAB

Post by goldmister »

Hi

I picked up a Bush CCE5063 today (I know, Bush! but i"ll keep my fingers crossed)
It was a toss up between that and a Sony only this one came with DAB for a tenner less so yes I gave in to temptation.
So looking at installing it (206CC 2002 1.6)

Im wondering if I'm going to need a new fascia. I havent taken the old one out yet . Wanted to make sure I've got everything I need before hand.
I understand I can use an old coat hanger to take the old 'Clarion' one out and if I want to enable the steering wheel controls will need another adaptor? Strangely someone online asked if it could be used with steering wheel controls and Argos said no.

It comes with a generic ISO connector so I guess will need an antenna adaptor?

Sorry if these are really basic and dull questions. It's been about 10 years since I last changed a radio and it wasn't a Pug.
High Wycombe
206CC 2002 1.6 Petrol

gazza82

Re: New radio/cd/DAB

Post by gazza82 »

You shouldn't need a new fascia as the 2002 has a standard unit but it will not display in the mfd on the top.

Never seen a Bush remote adaptor so you will have to search or take pot luck. It may work with something else.

The ISO adaptor is for the main wiring. The aerial is separate and on a more expensuve unit comes with the radio. So buying cheap may not work when you add in rhe extras you need to buy.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

Agree with what Gazza has said.

The factory units are the industry standard single din sized units, so is a simple one out one in routine.

Coat hangers are usually too large a diameter to fit through the holes of the stereo removal keys. You're better off with something rigid too. You can buy proper removal keys from somewhere like halfords or if you've got some small screwdrivers, allen keys or similar these work well.

Steering wheel controls will only work if you've bought a head unit (stereo) that accepts steering wheel controls (SWC). Not all after market units are setup to accept SWC.

You do typically need additional wiring to add SWC, yes. Typically this means an ISO wiring harness which has a 'translator' box or adapter box on it which reads the signal from the car, turns it into something the stereo can understand then a patch lead to connect the stereo itself.

Different manufacturers use different solutions for the connection to the stereo for the patch lead. Some use a single wire, some use three wires, some use a headphone jack. You can get universal patch leads.

But... just to stress it is all dependent on the stereo you've bought having SWC functionality. Not all do.

Last thing to consider is whether you've got the JBL stereo too. If you've got the JBL stereo then that is externally amplified. Most car stereos have an internal amplifier. Therefore if you go providing an already amplified signal to another amplifier, you end up with additional amplification and you might find that the stereo volume is suddenly very loud even on low settings. You may also find that the steps between volume levels becomes massive. At this point you'll need to consider wiring the external amp to the stereo pre-outs.
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

goldmister

Post by goldmister »

Thanks guys

You're quite right. I didnt need a fascia. Wasnt too bothered about the steering stalk control and the radio went in easily enough.(Bought the removal tools from Halfords in the end) The only issue was it wouldnt turn off immediately after turning the ignition off. Took a few minutes and strangely came back on again when the door was opened/interior light comes on.
Not a massive pain but curious.

Anyway...last night my mate (and his mate) who work on cars all the time decided to address the issue. Boy I wish they hadn't.
They wired and rewired the stereo (hearing about swapping the red and yellow wires round) and the dashboard lights went out. They changed the fuse and back on it comes so theyd presumably shorted something. More rewiring and scratching their heads and I get the ECONOMY MODE message. Several hours later they give up and radio is not working at all now and I guess another fuse(?) gone and the windows now dont work. What a nightmare.

Told my flatmate last night and hes going to put the damn thing back to the way it was before these guys started messing around with it.
Then I'll bite the bullet and pay Halfords their £30 to put the radio in properly. Should have just done that in the first place. Oh well that will teach me :(
High Wycombe
206CC 2002 1.6 Petrol

Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Your unit is connected to the continuous live instead of the one that come from the ignition, don't believe the thing about the red and yellow wires, mine were coloured differently, easy way to find out which one it is to use a volt meter to establish which wire is perm live and then switch the correct wires around, took me two nights to work this out with mine !!

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

The yellow / red wire is partial truth and what Steve M says is true also.

Stereos have two +12v feeds typically, one constant live feed which helps the stereo preserve it's memory by constantly having a power source, and another switched live feed which is what the stereo comes on and off with.

Aftermarket stereo wiring conforms to an ISO standard which says that the constant live wire is yellow and the switched live wire is red.

Your friends have recognised that the stereo isn't switching so the red wire must have a constant 12v feed on it. Usually this means the yellow and red wires have to be switched.

Where Steve's point comes true is that Peugeots run off CANBUS so the switching is done by the information network not a 12v feed. That means the Peugeot doesn't have the traditional 12v constant and 12v switched feeds in the car's wiring. The wiring colours also don't conform to any kind of ISO standard, so the colours are all different and don't necessarily match up to the ISO wiring colours.

So if your mates have started cutting and connecting wires without fully understanding and checking what they're connecting it to or think they're just matching colours up then the stereo is very probably overloading one of the circuits that it shouldn't be connected to.

Steve's point is a crucial one here - you (or whoever has another go at it) needs to make sure they're connecting to a genuine 12v switched feed.

I can't remember exactly what I connected my wife's car to now as that carried the added complication of being a double din conversion too but there is a suitable source around there somewhere.

Also worth noting is the "economy mode active" warning is a battery protection function. If the car feels that the battery voltage has dropped it will shut off some ancillary functions whilst the engine isn't running to preserve battery in order to ensure the car has enough power to start itself. That's easily cured by going for a drive or running the engine for a little bit to recharge the battery.

If this message starts to become frequent then you need to consider whether your battery is starting to fail (which is unusual in warm weather - cold kills batteries) or whether your alternator isn't charging the battery effectively.

Should point out though that these things are a little bit sensitive and they do like to throw the economy message up rather readily. You'll also see it after approx 20 mins or so if it thinks something has been left on it'll show this message and shut it down, again to preserve battery life. Probably not worth sweating the message at this point.
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I fitted a Sony unit in my daughters (pre-mux, 2001 model) and that came with a wiring adaptor which made it very easy to swap the red and yellow wires .. no cutting involved and that is how all new radios should be installed ..

Your problem sounds like the typical "two mate's" issue ... both probably thought they knew better than the other and "it's not my car so .. " .... both probably need a good :box:
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

goldmister

Post by goldmister »

Yes definitely a case of 'oh well its not my car...'

Anyway we got it sorted. Me and the flatmate with a little help from a multimeter reconnected the correct wires and he added an extra one to connect to the ignition. This has solved the 'radio staying on for a few minutes after the ignition is turned off' issue, and now it works properly, stations/settings are saved etc.

I never knew changing the radio was going to be such a tough job but thanks for all your help on here
High Wycombe
206CC 2002 1.6 Petrol

Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Good to hear its sorted, now for the stork controls, mine only took me a week to sort out (gulp)