Anti Pollution & Engine Management

Electrical 206CC problems
goldmister

Anti Pollution & Engine Management

Post by goldmister »

Hi all.

Newbie here so a) "Hello" and b) hopefully I've put this in the right place.

I've been reading a lot about the "anti pollution' error message and engine management light coming on.
This happened to me the other day. I bought a 2002 Peugeot 206CC 1.6 last week. Yes quite old but in decent enough nick. Picked it up, drove it 60 miles back home without a problem. Later in the week I did two short-ish trips back to the supermarket and last Friday drove it 25 miles to work. Again fine...until I was driving back. I turned at a roundabout and as I turned heard this beep which freaked me out a bit. Saw the error flash up and engine management light came on. This was near London in fairly busy traffic so I was already thinking 'just dont breakdown here'. Managed to get it home ok (thankfully).
Oh I should mention (as I've seen petrol being mentioned) before the 25 mile journey I filled up at a Tesco/Esso garage.

I've seen that this is a very common problem and read about the various codes to point me in the right direction. Garages around here (High Wycombe- Bucks) seem to be wanting around £60 just to look at it so I bought an OBD2 reader which will hopefully help.

So today I'll plug it in and get back with any codes and post them here. Hoping for some guidance really.

Thanks for reading

Glen
High Wycombe
206CC 2002 1.6 Petrol

goldmister

Re: Anti Pollution & Engine Management

Post by goldmister »

Ok so did the scan. It came up with one issue.
P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
High Wycombe
206CC 2002 1.6 Petrol

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

If it was driving ok at first with no warning light on then it could be a combination of short runs and cheap fuel leaving unburnt hydrocarbons. I'd also check the spark plugs - how long have they been in and how many miles have they done. Is the service record complete - when was it last fully serviced? Is the exhaust system intact and in good order with no leaks?

In our 1.6 we never had the warning light come on but I always use Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate fuel and tried to avoid short runs (eg. to the paper shop and back). My daughter had your problem with her 207 and replacement of the air filter and spark plugs with new ones cured that. It can just be a lack of regular servicing.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

goldmister

Post by goldmister »

Yes it was driving ok at first. I've not checked the spark plugs yet. A friend whos more knowledgeable than I probably ever will be has agreed to come and take a look at it. Change plugs, oil, air filter etc.

Unfortunately the service record isn't complete. The last entry is from 2014. It says 'Engine Service' 'Cambelt kit' and 'water pump'.

Its been suggested I try some Cataclean in it in case it was standing for quite a while and 'crap' has just built up over time.

I'll wait until my mate can have a good look at it before I do anything else. Luckily he seems quite knowledgable and up for replacing the sensors and/or cat if necessary. So thats a relief in some ways. Avoiding garage prices!
High Wycombe
206CC 2002 1.6 Petrol

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Give it an "Italian Tune-Up" before spending money on cat cleaning fluids that may or may not work.

Give it some welly .. :-) get the engine up to proper operating temp which will heat up the cat and that will burn of any rubbish that may be around.

We had the cat efficiency issue but it was a small hole forming in the exhaust! Eventually the warning became more regular just before the front pipe and rear silencer parted company at the join! :-)
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

steve747

Post by steve747 »

Hi
i am getting a anti polution error on my display.
the error is p0123 the revs was going up and down at 1100 revs.

Help would be appreciated...

Steve :thumbs:

steve747

Post by steve747 »

Hi
I am getting rusty water in the expansion tank when the antipolution error appeared.
i did the head gasket 6 months ago, also the cambelt and water pump at the same time.
i put new head bolts in and changed filters and oil.
Im wondering if i have done something wrong?

Looks like i will have to do the head gasket done again..

Please help..

steve

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Did you check the head was perfectly flat?
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

steve747

Post by steve747 »

Hi
Yes, i got a garage to skim the head. and checked the block..

Thanks for the reply..

Steve

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Are you loosing coolant? If it's just rusty it could be it wasn't flushed out properly .. it's almost impossible to get all the old coolant out.

steve747

Post by steve747 »

Hi
Im not loosing coolant at all.
I did flush the whole system out with Holt fast flush.
i found that when the error anti polution error appeared the water went rusty again. i took the coolant top off then it boiled over , the engine was only 90 dgrees so it didnt over heat..

Not sure weither it head gasket or not..

Thanks for the replies..

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

When the head gasket went on my Alfa it drank coolant.

steve747

Post by steve747 »

Hi
The fault code i believe is linked the the problem..
the fault code is p0123 does anyone have any idea what the fault is..
i believe it to do with the thottle sensor.

Any ideas would be apreciated

Thanks

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Throttle position sensor ...

steve747

Post by steve747 »

Hi
I know im going from one extream to another, doing some research ive heard that inlet manifold can be a possible fault for oil getting into the water..
Can this be possible on a 1.6 206cc engine?

Steve