Engine cutting out

Electrical 206CC problems
waheyluggage

Engine cutting out

Post by waheyluggage »

Hello

I'm hoping someone can help...

I have a 206 CC, 55 plate, 1.6 Petrol. It's done 68k, was serviced in Feb and MOT in September. It also had a new clutch in September. For the last few weeks there's been a sort of squeak when the engine is turning over. If I put my foot on the accelerator the squeaking speeds up. It sounds a lot like a budgie stuck in a fan belt.

Last week I came to a gentle stop and the engine cut out. The engine didn't struggle or anything it was just like someone had turned the car off. It started first time so I just put it down to me stalling it and not realising.

A few days later it happened again, again as I came to a stop, but this time it wouldn't start right away. When I turned the key it would behave like it started up ok but then immediately power down again. It would leave the handbrake and the battery light on. It did this about 4 or 5 times then it's been fine since.

Until just. This time it did it just as I was getting into work and doing about 30 mph, thankfully on a bit of trading estate style roads. I lost power steering and just coasted to a stop. Again the engine wouldn't start properly but this time I got it on video. After a few more tries it started ok. There's no engine warning light on, just the handbrake and the battery light.

hmm, it won't let me attach the video to the post or post a link.

If you do "www youtube com" (but with dots) and add "\watch?v=isFW_6-k8-Q" to the end, it's there. Sorry if I've broken a rule by doing that! If I have I'll remove it.

Any ideas? I'm booking it into the garage for tomorrow in a bit but not sure if it's safe to drive home.

Thanks!

Capncol

Re: Engine cutting out

Post by Capncol »

Were the pullys. tensioners & waterpump changed along with the cam belt? What about accessory belt and tensioners?

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isFW_6-k8-Q
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

waheyluggage

Post by waheyluggage »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Not sure. The clutch went and I was just told it had a new clutch, then at the service it had a few filters and spark plugs replaced. Nothing at the service about belts, tensioners or pullys.

I was putting it in to the garage tomorrow anyway due to the squeaky noise, and there's also a faint whining noise sometimes, like I'm driving a milk float.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Sorry. Completely misread your post. Don't know why I thought cam belt was changed.Probably the screeching noise made me think.

At that age the cambelt should have been changed, if not do it now as it's 2 years overdue! Screeching is a clue the tensioners maybe starting to go (It could also be an alternator or other accessary) I wouldn't try starting or driving until belt has been checked as it may of jumped which may explain your issues. If belt has been done, then maybe we need to look at something else.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

waheyluggage

Post by waheyluggage »

Thanks again. I'm not sure of the belt, will ask garage tomorrow as it's been with the same garage for any work since it was new.

I just went to check under the bonnet and the coolant was completely empty. Neither of my temperature gauges seemed off the scale though when it cut out.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Screeching may be waterpump in that case.
Best practice is to change it at the same time as cambelt as it is cambelt driven.

Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

waheyluggage

Post by waheyluggage »

Sorry, didn't see this over the weekend. It's more of repeating squeak than a screech if that makes sense.

So I filled the coolant back up hoping this would fix the cutting out, drove it home fine. Took it to garage on Friday and I told them about the cutting out, the squeak and the whine so they took a quick look at it. Rang me back later to say it's the steering pump causing me the problem. I picked it back up off them and need to take it back in on Wednesday for the work to be done, they said it should be fine to drive.

I drove it to work this morning, and it cut out again near work. This time I'd been keeping an eye on the temp guages and neither one had gone up much. The one under the rev counter was at about 80, the one on the right side was a smidge over 90. It started up pretty much straight away.

waheyluggage

Post by waheyluggage »

Just a quick update as car is back from garage.

The steering pump has been replaced and that's fixed the squeaking and the whining. It also seems a lot quieter in general now.

There was also a coolant leak in the thermostat housing and it needed replaced. Do you think that would be the cause of the engine cutting out? The temp guage looked ok ( at about 90 deg) but it was definitely running out. All in its cost £300.

I asked about the timing belt, looks like it does need doing. The quote for that is £290, that's for new belt, tensioner and waterline with an oil and filter change. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for your help!

waheyluggage

Post by waheyluggage »

I'm back.

So the cutting out issue is still happening. It will cut out briefly and I lose all power, then sometimes it will burst back into life on its own, others I need to switch it off and back on again.

I also got the anti-pollution light back on again, once more it seemed to happen because I stalled it. Stall it, turned it back on again and there it is. I took it to someone to run the diagnostics on it because of the cutting out more than anything and it came back with the following...

Air conditioning ECU
Remote intermittent fault. Coolant temperature sensor( VAN network) Incorrect value received.

Emzy90

Post by Emzy90 »

Hi this is a bit of a long shot but I've been having the same issues with my car recently with the engine cutting out. I was wondering if you ever resolved the issue?

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Best to start your own thread with all the details.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)