Car won't start after driving

Electrical 206CC problems
rachgreen

Car won't start after driving

Post by rachgreen »

Hi everyone

I'm new to the site and in desperate need of help and advice.

I brought my Peugeot 206 cc in December 2011 at just over 50,000 miles 54 plate.

Approx 2months ago the car wouldn’t start after i had drove it in traffic after leaving it for 10 mins it would start again. This happened throughout the day and then the engine management light appeared and an anti air pollution fault came up on the dashboard.
I took it to a mechanic who said the car was over heating (i.e in the traffic) he also advised me to start using bp ultimate petrol.

After then it was very rare it happened and when it did it only took 5-10mins to start again. Now this happens every time I drive the car, and is taking longer to re start. I only have to drive down the road and then stop the car and it will not re start! Causing havoc in petrol stations and in general a pain!! When i go to start the car a clicking noise happens but no ignition. The radio and lights etc come on. I had a new battery fitted when i brought the car so im assuming its not that. It takes over an hour to start again. And this is getting worse!!!

I had the temperature gage changed two days ago and the car now runs at 90 (apparently thats the norm and the gage did read 89?) and doesn’t seem to over heat etc. So im guessing its not a heat problem?

Please help!!!

Thank you

rachgreen

Re: Car won't start after driving

Post by rachgreen »

ps no management light or anti air pollution fault since a couple of months ago unsure if related? Now the starting of the car is the problem

thanks

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

You just get a clicking but the engine doesn't turn? Is that correct?
If so, sounds like a starter motor.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

I agree with Capncol - you need a new starter motor. It is a common fault with cars of your age. Just trawl through my earlier posts for evidence.

I'm glad your mechanic told you about BP Ultimate petrol, that and Shell V-Power will ensure that your engine runs at its best. Always use them myself. Had you been using supermarket petrol before that?

Yes, get a new starter motor put on it and I think you'll find your warm starting problems will be over.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Enright

Post by Enright »

Is it a 1.6 or a 2.0, and where are you? (It would be worth putting your location - town/county at least in your profile)
The reason I ask is that I have a spare starter motor for a 1.6, and am in Nottingham, so if it's the right one and you're close enough we might be able to come to some sort of arrangement...
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Mine: Daily driver; Mk2 MG ZS+ (TD). Current projects; 2 x Lotus Elan SE Turbos
Previous project: 56 plate 206 CC 1.6 Sport (with added Allure!)

Dibdab5159

Post by Dibdab5159 »

Hi new to this but can any one help I own a 206cc 1.6 allure 98000 miles 55 plate Petrol starts fine when cold but after
Driving to work and trying to start the car agin it won’t start turns over really slowly I have replaced the start moter with a new one and replaced the crank shaft sensor on gear box it still does same thing any help would be appreciated I just don’t know where to look next could it be earth straps or battery :facepalm: