BSI Reset & Battery Disconnection Methods

Electrical 206CC problems
danielz000

Re: BSI Reset & Battery Disconnection Methods

Post by danielz000 »

Thanks Capncol. I'll give that a try again tonight. Do you think it would reset an auto lighting fault? Is it even a stored fault?

Also, will I get any sort of beep to signify the BSI has been reset?

Well, I pulled the rear view mirror apart and checked the sensor and connections and everything looks fine. It could be that just the light sensor part of it has blown admittedly. Maybe I'll source a spare sensor and swap it out I guess...

Thanks again,

Dan

Edz_04

Post by Edz_04 »

Hello, new 2004 1.6CC Allure owner, and I'm intending to replace the existing battery later this week. Paranoid about corrupting the BSI, so (apologies) a few questions just to put my mind at rest.

- page 135 of the owners manual has a section 'To recharge or replace the battery', it states:

- turn on the ignition
- You have 10 seconds after turning on the ignition to press the internal protection switch (1) and hold it down for two seconds
- The warning light flashes rapidly for three seconds
- You can now disconnect the battery

After reconnecting the battery:

- Deadlock, then unlock the vehicle using the remote key

Is this procedure necessary?

Page 116 of the owners manual has no instruction for battery lead disconnection sequence, but states:

- Reconnect starting with the negative (-) terminal

I thought the correct disconnect / connect sequence was to disconnect the battery negative first, followed by positive. To reconnect, positive first, followed by negative. what is the correct disconnect / connect sequence for the CC?

Stage 3 of the reconnect sequence in this Forum's guide states 'turn on headlights' - does this mean turning the switch to just side lights, or to the second position for dipped beam?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Letting the BSI go to sleep is safest.
Normally the Neg is first to disconnect and last to reconnect on normal cars. The reason is normally both clamps have a pince bolt, if the neg was already connected and you accidently touched the metalwork of the car while tightening or loosening the pos you would have a dead short. Peugeots have that overcentre style clamp that you attatch by hand so I guess they think their method is safer.

I always do the Neg 1st & last thing as a force of habit. Technically it doesn't matter which you connect first as the car won't be *live* til they are both connected. It's just a matter of safety.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Edz_04

Post by Edz_04 »

Thanks for the clarification Col. After reconnection is it just the side lights you switch on, or dipped beam?

Cheers,

Ed.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Sidelights.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

Piyas

Post by Piyas »

danielz000 wrote:Hi All,

Adding to walshawwilly's question and Capncol's reply... Should the ignition be off/on when pressing and holding the lock button on the remote? Also, if the ignition is off, should the key be removed from the key hole?

Also, does the car make any sounds or give any notifications to suggest the reset was successful?

The reason I ask is I'm getting an "auto lighting fault" about 2 days after getting my windscreen replaced but I've got no reason to suspect a fault with the sensor. I was hoping that resetting the BSI would clear this error but upon following the instructions nothing seems to change...

Cheers,

Dan
Same question above... if the engine is off and key close button pressed while key is not inserted?
206cc 1.6 16V Petrol
Al4 Transmission

IanL

Post by IanL »

Piyas wrote:
danielz000 wrote:Hi All,

Adding to walshawwilly's question and Capncol's reply... Should the ignition be off/on when pressing and holding the lock button on the remote? Also, if the ignition is off, should the key be removed from the key hole?

Also, does the car make any sounds or give any notifications to suggest the reset was successful?

The reason I ask is I'm getting an "auto lighting fault" about 2 days after getting my windscreen replaced but I've got no reason to suspect a fault with the sensor. I was hoping that resetting the BSI would clear this error but upon following the instructions nothing seems to change...

Cheers,

Dan
Same question above... if the engine is off and key close button pressed while key is not inserted?
The answer is in the following post!
(Engine off/ ign off/ key in)
As far as I remember, there are no sounds. The test is whether the remote locking works, once the procedure is complete, and the key removed.

Piyas

Post by Piyas »

Ok. Sorry just want to make sure not to corrupt my BSI, since I'm new to the 206cc. So to clear the procedure, can you confirm.......

6.Turn the side lights on.
......next insert the key.
7.Now turn the engine on and inspect the system functions.
.......what specific functions do I need to check?
........will there be a message to confirm BSI reset, like a message on the multiplex center display?
.......is the door still closed the key is turned thru the driver's open window?
8.Press and hold down the lock button on the key for 10 seconds.
.......turn off the engine but leave the key inserted before pressing for 10 seconds?
.......what indication or sound will I expect after the 10 second press?
9.Check the central locking system by unlocking and locking the door consecutively.
........to test the lock / unlock, is the engine already off and key removed from ignition keyhole?
10.Turn the engine on again and finish inspecting the system.
206cc 1.6 16V Petrol
Al4 Transmission

Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Hi

Sorry if this is a silly question but I have change the battery, does this mean you have to leave the bonnet open or closed when disconnecting the battery ??

3.The BSI needs to go into to Sleep mode or Active Economy mode, during which nothing in the vehicle should be operating. Even the bonnet should not be opened at that time as it can ‘wake up’ the BSI if the vehicle has got an alarm installed. For batteries under the bonnet, the bonnet should be opened and left up before allowing the BSI to go into Sleep Mode.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Bonnet up, or how would you disconnect battery?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

IanL

Post by IanL »

Just in case its a semantic problem, the bonnet is the hatch over the engine compartment, i.e. what the Americans call the hood.

England - bonnet = America - hood

England - hood = America - soft top

England - boot = America - trunk

Piyas

Post by Piyas »

Yes, sorry. Sometimes I think about what is said in this forum, since I'm more familiar with "American" english.

How about my questions on the BSI reset step clarifications? any comments? Thanks.
206cc 1.6 16V Petrol
Al4 Transmission

IanL

Post by IanL »

I follow this procedure: http://www.petercoopercarrepairs.co.uk/ ... cedure.htm. It seems to agree with what has been posted above.

Piyas

Post by Piyas »

How about item 8 still does not mention of turning the engine off? So as above, is the confirmed procedure be.....engine will be turned off but key still inserted while pressing the lock button for 10 seconds?

Will there be a "bong" sound or any confirmation of the BSI reset? Since there was a mentioned "bong" sound on the battery installation of the link you posted.
206cc 1.6 16V Petrol
Al4 Transmission

IanL

Post by IanL »

The engine is not started until step 10. There is no sound for a BSI reset.