BSI Reset & Battery Disconnection Methods

Electrical 206CC problems
Capncol

BSI Reset & Battery Disconnection Methods

Post by Capncol »

Many faults posted on here can be cleared by Rebooting the Peugeot BSI.
Also, shown at the bottom is the correct (safe) method of disconnecting & reconnecting the battery.

Method for restarting the BSI:
1.The very first step is to unplug the diagnostic tool from the vehicle (if used)
2.Make sure all the gadgets are switched off, the driver’s window lowered down and open the bonnet.
3.Then close all the doors and take out the key from ignition.
4.After a 3 minute interval, disconnect the vehicle’s battery terminals and wait for a further 15 seconds.
5.Re attach the battery terminals and give a 10 second pause making sure the doors are closed.
6.Turn the side lights on.
7.Now turn the engine on and inspect the system functions. then switch off.
8.Press and hold down the lock button on the key for 10 seconds.Remove key.
9.Check the central locking system by unlocking and locking the door consecutively using the key
10.Turn the engine on again and finish inspecting the system.

Following any other procedure could cause malfunctioning of different units which depend on BSI.

Method for connecting the battery:
The following procedure is for reinstalling the battery connection unless told otherwise by Peugeot or Product service. Failure to follow this procedure may result in damage to the BSI’s embedded software during reconnection.
1.All the doors have to be closed with the ignition key turned off and the key taken out.
2.Now without opening the doors, reconnect the battery and wait for 10 seconds.
3.Turn on the headlights, turn on the engine and inspect the system’s functioning.

Method for disconnecting the battery:
1.Before disconnecting the battery, turn off all accessories and lights, closing all the doors and unplugging any kind of diagnostic tool. The drivers side window has to be kept open .
2.Turn off the ignition and take out the key then disconnect the battery after an interval of 3 minutes.
3.The BSI needs to go into to Sleep mode or Active Economy mode, during which nothing in the vehicle should be operating. Even the bonnet should not be opened at that time as it can ‘wake up’ the BSI if the vehicle has got an alarm installed. For batteries under the bonnet, the bonnet should be opened and left up before allowing the BSI to go into Sleep Mode. During this 3 minute interval, use of any remote control central locking gadgets for other vehicles should be avoided in the vicinity of the concerned vehicle.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Booster

Re: BSI Reset & Battery Disconnection Methods

Post by Booster »

Guys, take Capncols wise words very seriously. If not heeded it can cost you, bad.
I had a blown interior light fuse. On checking if it was the bulb I noticed a frayed wire in the bulb assembly connector. Decided to fix it, just in case it came loose in the future and shorted. Since the interior light circuit is live all the time ie it can be energised without the key in the ignition, I decided to be a good boy and disconnect the battery. I DID NOT follow the safe battery disconnect process detailed by Capncol (Through ignorance of the process) and proceeded to fix the interior light wiring and replace the fuse. On reconnection of the battery the cars system stayed in 'Economy mode' and wouldn't start. I pulled and checked every fuse and tried the bsi soft reset procedure - no joy. Took it into garage, diagnosis - corrupted management program in the BSI. Doh!
Ironically, if I'd been lazy and not disconnected the battery, I'd have been fine, probably.

That said I would never recommend conducting electrical work without disconnecting the battery. Just make sure you use the safe battery disconnection procedure listed here. Failure to do so could cost you IN EXCESS OF 200 QUID. It's just not worth the risk.
Regards

John

Enright

Post by Enright »

Is there anything that you can recommend if you get the message "Economy Mode Active" between steps 6 and 7 above?
Because that's exactly what happens to me, and as a result it won't let me turn the engine on. :(
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Mine: Daily driver; Mk2 MG ZS+ (TD). Current projects; 2 x Lotus Elan SE Turbos
Previous project: 56 plate 206 CC 1.6 Sport (with added Allure!)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Economy mode is protection from a flat battery. It won't stop the engine starting as such, unless it is so flat it won't pull in the starter solonoid. If engine cranks then you have a different issue. What have you tried/ replaced/ left disconnected during your rebuild? Once engine starts, Eco mode will go.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

Enright

Post by Enright »

I'm sure that the battery is good - it turns the engine over very strongly. In fact I can move the car backwards and forwards on the starter motor.
The dash lights and everything all light up powerfully too. Every fuse shows continuity, but I've noticed that there is quite a bit of corrosion on the individual fuse blades - the fusebox has obviously been left uncovered (probably for most of April).
The only things that I can find which aren't connected are a grey plug with a single white wire going to it under the steering column/near the BSI, and an empty socket in the BSI just above the big green and red multiplug. I've no idea what either do. :hmm:
Systems I've noticed not working are: wipers, radio, heater blower, headlights, fuel pump. But there could be others that I've not discovered yet.
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Ah! You didn't say the wipers etc: don't work. That is the BSI eco mode problem you have.
The economy mode is to protect car from flat battery. If voltage drops to a certain level, economy mode kicks in to help preserve power by shutting off non vital functions, such as wipers - effectivly putting the BSI to sleep.

The grey plug (about 30mm X 6mm?) clips to the rack to the left of the column and isn't connected. There shouldn't be anything left dis-connected from BSI.
Is the BSI the original unit?
Assuming it is, I would double check all the earths under the bonnet first, failing that, if you are sure everything is connected properly, then you will have to send BSI off for test / repair.
Be prepared to get it back "virginised" which means taking car to PUG dealer afterwards to get it recoded to ECU & Keys. You will need all the keys, the code card (or they will charge extra to get the code from pug) Recode costs about £160 + VAT depending where you are.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Enright

Post by Enright »

In that case I think that I've fallen down the same hole as Booster in the 2nd post in this thread - doh! :(
Sorry for the thread hijack of such an important sticky, but I guess it just proves the point that if you're playing around, then it's better to be safe than sorry. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing! :oops:
Now I need to consider my options, as it's probably cheaper to get a BSI & ECU from a car that's being broken than going direct to Peugeot, unless a local with Peugeot Planet 2000 can do the same job.
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Word of caution.
How do you know the second hand units haven't also been blown due the above lack of knowledge. Also S/H units may not have all the options applicable to your car coded into it? (Can be done with PP)
If you go down the secondhand route, you will also need the keys from the doner vehicle too.

I would go the repair route personally. Just had a Citroen one done.

BTW.
I noticed when you collected your car it was on a dolly.
Not sure if you are aware that is illegal. Dollies are for recovery only and subject to different laws than a trailer (transportation) The Police tend to turn a blind eye, but I know this has led to insurance problems if you have an accident while towing.

Here it is chapter and verse. I'm not preaching, but you should be aware. especially if you are towing it to a dealer. Cheers Col.

Q. What is a trailer?
A. A road vehicle, usually (but not necessarily) two wheeled, towed by a motor vehicle.Given the above dictionary definition, it is fairly clear that anything attached to the towball and having wheels in contact with the ground is a trailer. This includes cars on ‘A’ frames and dollies. Bearing in mind that the unbraked towing limit of 750 kgs refers to Maximum Gross Weight (i.e. the figure on the towed cars VIN plate) and not to actual weight, it severely restricts the options. The only cars I know of with a MGW of less than 750 kgs is the Aixam range. These are around 450 to 550 kgs.

There are strict regulations on braked trailers and, whilst a braked ‘A’ frame attached to a towed car constitutes a braked trailer,
it is not legal for transportation as it cannot comply with EC71/320 .With car dollies, the situation is somewhat different. Under regulation 83 of the Road Vehicles (construction & Use) Regulations 1986 (SI.1986/1078) Amending Regulations, a car dolly, with a car in place, will be considered as two trailers. This is legal for recovery but, under the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984 (Schedule 6) the combination is limited to 40 mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 20 mph elsewhere.

Note that there is a very specific difference between recovery and transportation. Recovery is the removal of a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. It does not include removing a rotor arm (for instance) and travelling the length and breadth of the country. The police are well aware of the difference due to the regulations covering Tachographs and Operators Licences. Recovery vehicles are exempt.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

LVS

Post by LVS »

Hi Capncol, im new to this site and im after some advise/help with a possible BSI issue.. is there a way i can message you personally on here rather than clog up this thread with chat?

Thanks
Tom

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Will PM you my contact details.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

walshawwilly

Post by walshawwilly »

Hi when pressing and holding the lock button for 10 seconds and trying the lock functions do you switch the engine of first or do it while it's running? Thanks just don't want to mess it up!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Sorry that's not very clear is it. Engine should be off.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

walshawwilly

Post by walshawwilly »

Hi,no worries just wanted to be sure that's all,hoping it might cure my cold starting issues, sorry for hijacking your thread,if you get chance could you read my post and maybe give me some advice, I'm getting kind of fed up with changing various sensors which aren't cheap,thanks in advance

Craig

danielz000

Post by danielz000 »

Hi All,

Adding to walshawwilly's question and Capncol's reply... Should the ignition be off/on when pressing and holding the lock button on the remote? Also, if the ignition is off, should the key be removed from the key hole?

Also, does the car make any sounds or give any notifications to suggest the reset was successful?

The reason I ask is I'm getting an "auto lighting fault" about 2 days after getting my windscreen replaced but I've got no reason to suspect a fault with the sensor. I was hoping that resetting the BSI would clear this error but upon following the instructions nothing seems to change...

Cheers,

Dan

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Why do you say you don't suspect the sensor? That's the first thing I would check.

(Engine off/ ign off/ key in)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)