In the workshop this week.

nonsense and other stuff - Don't enter if easily offended !!!!!
Capncol

In the workshop this week.

Post by Capncol »

I will give this a go and see how we get on. If I have something in that is a bit unusual, or Peugeot related I will post it here. Depending on the amount of page visits or comments determines whether I keep it going or not.

So my 1st post.

I had a quite nice 206CC with the airbag light on today, so scanned it and got the codes.
P1060083.JPG
P1060084.JPG
P1060085.JPG
P1060086.JPG
P1060087.JPG
P1060088.JPG
P1060089.JPG

So, Code 1808 is the drivers seat airbag.
This is commonly either a broken wire where the seat back meets the seat squab (It breaks due to fatigue from tilting seat forward to get into back seat area) or the wiring and plugs under the seat itself give problems, again due to moving seat back and forward. Either way I'm looking for a break (open circuit)
I disconnected the battery (using correct method) and started hunting!

The problem was the owner had wedged something under the seat and dislodged the tray holding the plugs under the seat which in turn dislodged a plug.
P1060091.JPG
Code 2082 (drivers module level 2 open circuit) is the second stage (squib) for Drivers airbag.
Again I'm looking for a break in the wiring, and using a meter I proved it into the infamous Comm2000 unit.
Peugeot had one in stock so while I waited for it to arrive I stripped the old unit out starting with removing the steering column cowls (2 screws underneath)
P1060071.JPG
P1060070.JPG
Then using a screwdriver in the hole at bottom rear of steering wheel, give the spring clip a whack, and the airbag will pop out
Remove the 2 plugs from the airbag (1 green, 1 blue), the earth wire for the horn and the grey plug from the steering wheel. Then remove airbag assembly and store it safely.
P1060072.JPG
P1060073.JPG
P1060075.JPG
The airbag plugs are colour coded, so reassembly is easy
P1060074.JPG
Making sure the wheels are straight and the steering wheel level, remove the steering wheel, followed by the 4 plugs at the rear of the comm2000
P1060076.JPG
Then undo the clamp on the rear of the comm2000 and remove the unit.
P1060077.JPG
The new unit (right) doesn't come with the radio control stalk, so this will need to be un-clipped from old unit and clipped to new unit
P1060078.JPG
P1060079.JPG
You should now have quite a collection of bits
P1060080.JPG
Now all you need to do is put it all back together again and you should be rid of the airbag light
P1060092.JPG

If anyone is going to attempt this, I can give more detailed instructions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

GrandadMonkey

Re: In the workshop this week.

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Brilliant Col. I hope I never have to do it but at least, thanks to you, I now have a guide to it.

I'm so old school I don't even have a code reader.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

This arrived today. It's from a sea school boat that I look after. It has been emulsifying the oil since an overheat a few weeks back. (coolant getting into the oil)

Had the head off and found the head gasket was OK, but had to put it back together as it had work booked. It's now quiet season so have chance to fix it.

Double click to zoom image (then press "F" on keyboard for full size if required)
P1060594.JPG
P1060596.JPG

As it's not clear where the leak was coming from, I dropped the sump and used one of these to pressurise the cooling system and this sould give me an idea of where or what the leak is (if it is the head, I should see water in the oil drains back to the sump)
P1060597.JPG
P1060598.JPG

This is what I found. See the little spay of water spraying left to right at abou 2 o'clock?
(go to full size and scroll to the right)
The bottom of the liner is cracked
(the cylinders on these engines are wet liners, ie, the cylinder is a *tube* pressed into the engine block and the water circulates around it to cool it)
New liner & piston, and gasket sets ordered. I will post the stripdown and damage when it's stripped.
P1060609.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

*UPDATE* Liner had a hole corroded though, but it's so tiny I couldn't take a photo. Engine is reassembled ready for refitting.

This weeks little special.
VW Polo arrived with a slight coolant leak.
I popped the top cover off the cam belt and had a peek to see if the waterpump was leaking. I couldn't be 100% sure without removing the rest of the covers, but the cambelt looked quite perished so I advised the customer it should be changed in any case and he agreed.

When I got the covers off, this is what I saw
IMG_2559.JPG

Both belts, all the guides and tensioners, and waterpump replaced, All good to go,

He should go and buy a lottery ticket now!
IMG_2560.JPG
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

It just goes to show how good the vw lump is. I cant believe it was still running.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Had this Fiesta in the other day.
Customer said heard a bang , then a rubbing sound. This is what I found.
IMG_2562.JPG
The spring had broken and dropped over the strut.
The black stuff all over the brake hose etc: is rubber from the inside edge of the tyre. I have seen a broken spring cause a blowout when the sharp broken edge *stabs* the tyre. It can also damage the brake hose.
IMG_2563.JPG
The Spring is supposed to fit between the two flanges (extreme left & centre) Like this...... (although the strut is now facing the other way)
IMG_2569.JPG
I always thought it was dangerous of Fords to fit springs that are barrel shaped, because they nearly always end up dropping down the strut and damaging the tyre. It's not just Fiestas either. Mondeos and focuses are the same, and I have changed loads of these broken springs on Fords, if the spring was cylindrical it wouldn't drop over the strut.
IMG_2570.JPG
All Done!
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

My bro-in-law's Mondeo did that ... He came out and found part of the spring on the road!

Couple of months ago the rear spring plate on my Alfa dropped, rubbing on the tyre. It had rusted through and parted from the strut. Replaced two struts and two new tyres. The other strut wasn't rusting but when I pushed the shock down ... It never come back up! Handling has improved :-)
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Had a Chevy engine in the other day. Had a misfire and no compression on one cylinder. I wonder why??
burnt piston 001.jpg
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Fihen

Post by Fihen »

Col thanks for the info on removing the steering wheel airbag. I followed your instructions and it worked out great. Unfortunately reassemble was good except didn't have the wheels straight enough and steering alignment out slightly although not enough to worry about.