is it worth just replacing the speakers?

Audio Equipment, installs & Recommendations.....
Hedders

is it worth just replacing the speakers?

Post by Hedders »

I have a 2006 'Sport' and I find the stereo to be a bit lacking in 'oomph', its all just a bit tinny. I am pretty sure none of the speakers are actually blown.
I really don't want to spend loads of money and i would rather not change the head unit.

If i was just to buy four pioneer speakers or something like that for about £70 off the bay, would it actually be worth it or would I need to change the head unit to get any benefit from new speakers?

Or, do i need to stop being so tight and spend more than £70, or get a different brand or something? (are there any specific speakers that are known to be well matched to the head unit, for example)

I am not looking to be driving a mobile night club, I would just like it to sound better than it does.

Any advice gratefully received
2006 Black 206cc 'Sport' . 75000 miles. Recently purchased from Gumtree for £500.

Roll on, summer!!

Rubyoptics

Re: is it worth just replacing the speakers?

Post by Rubyoptics »

The speakers in the cc are terrible. Anything short of a biscuit tin will sound better than the stock speakers!
2003 2.0. Dyno'd @ 134BHP. 2.5" full stainless exhaust system, lexus style rear lights, LED sidelights and interiors. Latest mod - Full stainless steel Group N gear linkages.

Hedders

Post by Hedders »

I have ordered a set of 'FLI' speakers which are cheap but have mainly positive reviews, and a 'refurbished' Sony Head unit so i can bluetooth the phone to it .

Hopefully it should be a reasonable improvement!
2006 Black 206cc 'Sport' . 75000 miles. Recently purchased from Gumtree for £500.

Roll on, summer!!

Rubyoptics

Post by Rubyoptics »

There are a few decent video guides on YouTube for changing the speakers. One thing none of them mention is that when you remove the door cards, the door handle surround will come flying or, so either try to remove it first or get ready to catch it! Also, do one door at a time as then you can reference on the door you haven't done exactly how to line up the door cards with the window seal.
2003 2.0. Dyno'd @ 134BHP. 2.5" full stainless exhaust system, lexus style rear lights, LED sidelights and interiors. Latest mod - Full stainless steel Group N gear linkages.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

And don't forget the pug speaker wires all have plugs .. so a good crimper and supply of female spade terminals
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Hedders

Post by Hedders »

Thanks for the tips!

I was hoping that the speakers will come with whatever connectors/plugs that they require, i do have some knocking about here somewhere though.

Roll on, summer!!

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Pioneer speakers are unlikely to have the Peugeot socket .. only Peugeot supplied speakers will have those.

I put a pair in the rear of my 1.4hDi (didn't have any!) and it wasn't difficult to crimp on two spade terminals to match the speaker connectors .. you just need to know which is positive and negative or the speaker works the wrong way! What was more fun was reprogramming the radio with PP2000 to actually use them! :-)
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Rubyoptics

Post by Rubyoptics »

I believe that the rear speakers use a proprietary connector so as Gazza says, it's unlikely in the extreme that any aftermarket speakers will come with them. For the limited electrical work I have done on mine I have always used spade connectors as it makes removing anything nice and easy the next time.

Hedders

Post by Hedders »

Rear speakers haven't arrived yet but today I swapped out the head unit and front speakers.
the new speakers are 3 way so I just didn't bother connecting the original tweeters back up.

Weirdly I have now lost my permanent live so the new head unit is not currently remembering stations and the time etc..

Not sure why that would be?

Roll on, summer!!

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Try swapping red and yellow power wires

Hedders

Post by Hedders »

Thank you very much :)

Roll on, summer!!

Hedders

Post by Hedders »

Update.
I am not sure if i have screwed up, as i was installing the rear speakers (just as i cut the wires) , The stereo made a beeping sound ..i figured as it was turned off and the key was not in the ignition I didn't need to worry about it.
So, i finished installing the speakers and then turned everything on and had lost the radio presets again which suggested to me i might have screwed up. Then i took the car out for a spin and the stereo works but it just doesn't sound very good at volume which is a bit disappointing so i thought i would take it out and put the original head unit back in and test that with the new speakers. The original Head unit sounds much better than the Sony Head unit, and the sony unit was REALLY hot when i took it out!
The Sony stereo is bottom of the line unit (Sony DSX-A200UI) and is reported to be 55w x 4 but at high volume the sound just falls apart. (and it gets hotter than the sun)

So for now at least, I guess I am sticking with the original Clarion Head Unit and might keep my eye out for something a bit better than the cheap Sony unit (that i may have blown something in!)

I would appreciate your thoughts on whether you agree that i may have blown something in the Sony, or whether the clarion is actually better equipment and needs less wattage to produce a nice sound, or both :)

Hedders.

Roll on, summer!!

206convert

Post by 206convert »

Bought JVC`s all round ( CS-J620`s 16.5cm front and CS-J420`s 10cm rear) for the princly sum of £37 off the Bay of Fleas, 2 sets of Peugeot 206 speaker loom adapter (£3 each pair). and a kit of fascia panel,aeriel adapter and iso adapter for £4.50. Fitting was simple, courtesy of Youtube, with no wires needing to be cut and my cheap Chinese bluetooth/usb stereo fired up, perfect sound roof up or down.Took just under an hour.

Rubyoptics

Post by Rubyoptics »

206convert, did you use the CT55-PE02 loom adaptors? I hadn't considered something like that, and whilst i'm not planning on selling the car (too much fun dammit!) it's nice to know I could replace the stock speakers if for some reason a buyer wanted them rather than an upgraded speaker set.

Hedders

Post by Hedders »

I bought an installation kit off the bay as well which included a surround for the head unit, a wiring loom thingy and an aerial adaptor. It turned out the head unit came with its own loom that worked just fine, and the surround for the head unit wasn't required either so all i needed was the aerial adaptor!

I am still not very happy with the sound, all though there is an improvement, i would like more bass than i am getting.

What do you guys think of replacing the front speakers with low /mid range woofers and hoping that the little rear speakers will supply the high notes adequately, maybe with a little tweaking of the fader? It seems like the rear speakers are mounted quite high so the sound that comes out them is quite prominent. plus i could plug the front tweeters back in.

Roll on, summer!!