Boot Sub Install - looking for Ideas

Audio Equipment, installs & Recommendations.....
Karrot

Boot Sub Install - looking for Ideas

Post by Karrot »

Ok, so I have the worlds ugliest 12" sub strapped in to my boot right now.

The 'install', if you can call it that, is a chopped up Fusion 12" sub enclosure and the corresponding 400W 2 channel amp. It works well providing enough bass to massage kidneys and give more panel rattle than a DC-10 on take off, but its ugly and take up a massive portion of the boot floor space.

What i would like to do is build a box to run full width across the back of the boot floor (similar to the JBL unit) with 2 6.5" subs. I'd move the amp to beneath the passenger seat.

Actually constructing the box shouldn't be difficult with some MDF, screws and glue.

Has anyone build something like this before or does anyone have any pointers or other ideas?

TIA

Karrot
As long as water isn't falling out of the sky, the roof can be down.

gazza82

Re: Boot Sub Install - looking for Ideas

Post by gazza82 »

Have a look on 206info.co.uk ... they have a dedicated ICE section which may give you some ideas. Personally the CC boot is small enough without that! And it has to be low enough to clear the roof.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Karrot

Re: Boot Sub Install - looking for Ideas

Post by Karrot »

Cheers Gazza.

Yes the roof operation and the the space taken up are both large considerations on this one, and so compromises are being made.

I currently have a chopped up Fusion 12" sub box in the boot, and whilst it provides good base it takes up far to much room.

I've taken inspiration from this chap's design

But decided to go for a more traditional JBL look with the subs at either end.

The basic enclosure is built now, and fits under the blind. I've gone with a sealed box, walled in the middle to give each sub and exclusive air space as I plan to run from my existing 2 channel amp. No pics until the subs and carpet get here, sorry :D

Karrot
As long as water isn't falling out of the sky, the roof can be down.