Cambelt on 206 , engine 1.1

Other things in here.......
jare

Post by jare »

Hello, my name is Paul, and as a new driver I bought a 206, 1.1 engine ( for cheap insurance)
My question is, if someone can tell me, on how many miles the cambelt should be changed ?
And how can I check it, if I can check?
How much can this cost me?
Is it a major problem?
Cheers!

Ladybrum

Re: Cambelt on 206 , engine 1.1

Post by Ladybrum »

Hi Paul,
I've not long bought a 206cc 2.0 Se (02 plate) and the first thing I did was have the cam belt changed. Mine came with a full service history but didn't show as having the cam belt changed. I also had 2 seals and the alternator belt roller replaced. When the old cam belt was taken out it proved to still be the original belt so mine had never been changed. For my car, the cam belt should be changed at between 60,000 - 72,000 miles (mine was on 64,000). As for costs, the cam belt kit alone cost me £85.00, then there were the extras for the seals and roller plus labour charges but you need to way up how much it may cost you if the cam belt goes and you then need a need engine! My advice (via my mechanic friend) is play it safe and have it changed, all in all mine cost £200 + but well worth it (and cheaper than an new engine).