Kumho Wintercraft WP51 Tyres

Other things in here.......
Rubyoptics

Kumho Wintercraft WP51 Tyres

Post by Rubyoptics »

Hey all,

As we start to see the first inklings of spring, I thought I would give these tyres a quick write up . The WP51 is a winter tyre with a focus on snow performance. As I live in Poland, this last part has been rather useful during the past few months!

I bought the car on summer tyres in December and instantly had problems with grip. Even in just wet conditions, the car would spin it's wheels at the slightest provocation. Crunch time came when, with an inch of snow on the ground i slid completely sideways round a corner with only the lack of incoming traffic avoiding an accident (I was travelling at 5 km/h so speed was not the cause!)

After fitting the WP51 the transformation has been nothing short of amazing. I have incredible levels of grip even in very snowy and icy conditions and happily used the CC through the whole winter, even after heavy snowfall left 6-8 inches on the ground. The tyres keep the nice low profile on the 16" rims and the grip pattern looks similar to Pirelli winter tyres although I have no idea if it is the same or not. They fall into the mid-price range, I paid approximately 300 pounds for a set of 4. Strongly recommended!
2003 2.0. Dyno'd @ 134BHP. 2.5" full stainless exhaust system, lexus style rear lights, LED sidelights and interiors. Latest mod - Full stainless steel Group N gear linkages.

Capncol

Re: Kumho Wintercraft WP51 Tyres

Post by Capncol »

Sounds good and Kumho are a known brand. I suspect your summer tyres are budget ones. Maybe worth replacing them when the winter ones come off.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.