Wheel Nut Cover Remover

Wanted items, again only LEGAL stuff......
gazza82

Wheel Nut Cover Remover

Post by gazza82 »

The small tool that pulls the wheel nut covers off!!

Anyone got one they no longer want?

Just picked up the CC yesterday, and I can't find one anywhere ... no wheel brace either but we've got a spare one in the other 206!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

craigdmjv

Re: Wheel Nut Cover Remover

Post by craigdmjv »

god to see you joined mate mine was in the boot but hidden away behind the support thing by the rear bumper torx screws i will get a pic

craigdmjv

Post by craigdmjv »

http://www.roadsterbag.co.uk/resources/ ... h+open.jpg under the bit where the boot latch is lol

Thar

Post by Thar »

Not sure I have that tool either to be honest...will have to check.

This is a previous post of mine showing the wrench in its hiding place. http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic ... 12#p104712
Image...............

Life's too short to drive around with your top on! :D

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Thar wrote:Not sure I have that tool either to be honest...will have to check.

This is a previous post of mine showing the wrench in its hiding place. http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic ... 12#p104712

I know where the wrench goes ... still haven't got one. But when we swapped the wheels on the 1.4 we moved from 19 to 17mm so I have one spare in the boot. I bought one of those extending ones for the diesel.

I'll have to have a good look around .. at least I have TWO locking nuts keys ...
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

logan

Post by logan »

I just use a pair of plyers but be carefull not too scratch them :) , where was your wheel nut key mayte coz i cant find mine ?? cheers

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Wheel nut keys were in the glove box.

As I had to order a steering pipe from a stealers, I ordered a removal tool as well ... £2.94!

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Don't assume that the locking wheel stud keys are the same. They have different codes and it would be an amazing coincidence if the two you have had the same code and fitted the same wheel studs. I'd check to make sure you have the correct one in the right car. It would be a bit late to find out you have the wrong one with you in an emergency.

Ron
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

logan

Post by logan »

The keys are an absolute nightmare , no 2 are the same apparently ... found this out the other day when someone cut the valve off on my wheel and discovered that i dont have a unlocking key , £300 and a trip to peugeot got the locking nuts off .... so make sure 1 of them fits mate :D

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Well both keys fit so I must be very lucky.

In the end I pulled the caps off carefully with long nose pliers. What a mess! The nuts were very rusty underneath.

Does anyone else have a problem getting their alloys off? :?: :?: Talk about tight fit on the hubs. I ended up resorting to a rubber mallet on two out of three .. I never got around to the fourth! I'll have to get the rotary wire brush out on the electric drill and clean everything up when I change the disc and pads later today.

PS Rear pads down to less than 2mm of pad material! Discs pretty worn too. So replacing all discs and pads.

This car needs some TLC!!! And it's going to get it from us!

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Well done. Yes, the wheels are often tight on the hubs. I cleaned mine up with a wire brush and greased the contact faces lightly before I put them back. Never have a problem now.
Ron

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

The corrosion on the back of the wheels had to be seen to be believed. Lots of soft white gunk .. which came off easily enough but must have been the reason.

I used a wire brush in a drill and copperslip to help stop them sticking, but they still feel tight. I may have another go ... I might not have taken enough off the hub in the way of rusty steel! ;)

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Yes, its the electrolytic reaction that you get with two different metals against each other (steel/alloy) that causes the corrosion. A thin film of grease helps to stop that.
Ron

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

April 25th 2011 to 10th May 2016 ... not bad for CC ownership. Nearly 99k miles on clock. But time came for a change and so Kermit has been traded in for a 2010 Mini Cooper convertible today. Wonder if my daughter keeps this one for 5 years ;-)

I'll stick around but maybe won't be on as often. If I can offer any advise I will.

In the meantime I have a pair of Phase 2 rear lights for sale. Transform the back end!

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

We've moved on from Peugeot too Gazza. I still log on at least once a week but Capncol is fast catching up with the total number of my posts. You've been a good, positive and regular contributor. Thank you.
Ron