MOT Fail - Big Problem

Anything related to the 206CC
Lady Python

MOT Fail - Big Problem

Post by Lady Python »

My beloved 206cc failed her MOT yesterday in a big way.

Needs new back silencer
Needs headlight bulb (both easy fixes)

but the big one...

Needs a new back axle. Wheel on the offside is rubbing on the wheel arch and there is a LOT of play.

She is a 52 plate, 2L engine.

Garage is trying to source one to be able to give me a price to get her through another MOT. I'm pretty much disabled now and really need my car (PIP claim pending).

Can anyone suggest where I could source a new axle (or a good second hand one) as the garage isn't having much luck from their supplier at the moment and time is running out. I would SORN her but I have nowhere off road to put her.

Despite her age, she is a good, reliable car. I really don't want to scrap her :cry:

gazza82

Re: MOT Fail - Big Problem

Post by gazza82 »

Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Thanks Gazza. I'll have a look at these.

Something's bothering me though. I used to dabble with cars in my teenage years so did learn a bit about them.

I don't go far in the car, usually as far as the local supermarket, about a 2 mile round trip and twice a month an 8 mile round trip to my music teacher and back. The trip to my music teacher didn't happen for several weeks as he had a bit of a breakdown.

For about a month, every time I go over a bump in the road I hear quite a loud bang coming from the back. I also notice she's slightly down on the driver's side which would suggest a worn shock absorber or soft spring to me.

Many years ago I had a Subaru. I lived in Aberdeen at the time and had gone on a trip to Edinburgh. Coming through Dundee there was an almighty bang-bang-bang. Bearings in the rear axle had gone. I managed to limp back to Aberdeen but boy, was that a hairy experience!

I have had cars for the past 40 years and I've never heard of a back axle actually going like this.

This is what it says on the MOT failure note:

Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn Offside Rear (radius) [5.3.4(a)(i)]

Right now I am not convinced I need an entire new axle.

IanL

Post by IanL »

This may help determine what you really need.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Lady Python wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:00 am Thanks Gazza. I'll have a look at these.

Something's bothering me though. I used to dabble with cars in my teenage years so did learn a bit about them.

I don't go far in the car, usually as far as the local supermarket, about a 2 mile round trip and twice a month an 8 mile round trip to my music teacher and back. The trip to my music teacher didn't happen for several weeks as he had a bit of a breakdown.

For about a month, every time I go over a bump in the road I hear quite a loud bang coming from the back. I also notice she's slightly down on the driver's side which would suggest a worn shock absorber or soft spring to me.

Many years ago I had a Subaru. I lived in Aberdeen at the time and had gone on a trip to Edinburgh. Coming through Dundee there was an almighty bang-bang-bang. Bearings in the rear axle had gone. I managed to limp back to Aberdeen but boy, was that a hairy experience!

I have had cars for the past 40 years and I've never heard of a back axle actually going like this.

This is what it says on the MOT failure note:

Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn Offside Rear (radius) [5.3.4(a)(i)]

Right now I am not convinced I need an entire new axle.
206s don't have springs so you can rule that out. They use torsion bars which are very unlikely to fail. But there is plenty back there than can wear and does.

The picture IanL posted shows the trailing arm and that is attached via some large bushes which wear out. Nos 4 & 6. It might be worth asking your mechanic to look at these.

The rear end went on my daughter's CC and the camber (vertical angle) on the rear wheels had visibly changed (they tucked in a lot at the top). It was also very "clonky". Eventually it got to the point that the o/s tyre rubbed through the inner wheel arch and a large chunk fell out! You might find looking from the rear shows if one wheel is more cambered that the other. Feeling for the gap between tyre and inner wings may also show up a difference. That would be the sign the bearings had failed.

If your mechanic gets the car up on a lift, leaving the suspension & wheels to dangle, it should be easier to determine where the wear is.

Like you we wanted to avoid a new rear axle but in the end it was too badly worn and rusty to consider a quick fix. The car used to live in Dundee and was pretty "orange" underneath when we got it. That didn't help the bushes and bearings which are not re-greasable. Plus there are two large body shell reinforcing bars running under the rear and they are usually a PITA to remove without resorting to violence! :censored:

I do love the heading on that parts diagram as well .. "Leaf Springs Rear"???? ... :facepalm:
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

I bought an imaxle very recently for 206 cc 1.6 petrol. A complete pig to install, due to seized bolts. The axle is first class and the delivery charge £30 includes the return of the old axle. The delivery was very quick. I highly recommend the axle. By the way, i installed this myself and i am 77 so most of you will be quite capable to install this. Just be advised i had to buy new hubs and bearings, disk backplates and calliper slider pins. I also had to buy 2 new axle mounting bolts as i had to cut them off as there was no way to screw them out due to the stupid torque heads. Best of luck.
Peugeot 206 cc 2006 1.6 petrol
Vauxhall Corsa 2016 1.4 petrol

IanL

Post by IanL »

gazza82 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:50 am I do love the heading on that parts diagram as well .. "Leaf Springs Rear"???? ... :facepalm:
Yes, it may be a bad translation, considering the original was probably in French, or someone entering data into a blank database without being too particular about modifying headings, or both!

I blame the EU :hmm:

Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

I see my previous post still needs to be moderated, so no doubt it will be visible shortly. One thing i forgot about was the 2 reinforcing bars mentioned by gazza82. I can think of a more poetic word than pita. What i did was grind the heads off the bolts and then they came out quite easily with vice grips. I only removed the bolts at the back and then gently bent the bars down, and let the weight of the axle slide down the bars. The easy way is to use a ratchet strap to tie the axle to a trolly jack. That way you have more control over it as it comes out. The axle from imaxle is £190 plus £30 carriage and is a bargain as opposed to buying new bearings etc and trying to redo the existing axle. Lady python, your symptoms are identical to what mine were, and there really was no other option but to bite the bullet and replace the axle. My car is so much better now, the hard work was worth it.

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Ronnie wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:04 pm I see my previous post still needs to be moderated, so no doubt it will be visible shortly. One thing i forgot about was the 2 reinforcing bars mentioned by gazza82. I can think of a more poetic word than pita. What i did was grind the heads off the bolts and then they came out quite easily with vice grips. I only removed the bolts at the back and then gently bent the bars down, and let the weight of the axle slide down the bars. The easy way is to use a ratchet strap to tie the axle to a trolly jack. That way you have more control over it as it comes out. The axle from imaxle is £190 plus £30 carriage and is a bargain as opposed to buying new bearings etc and trying to redo the existing axle. Lady python, your symptoms are identical to what mine were, and there really was no other option but to bite the bullet and replace the axle. My car is so much better now, the hard work was worth it.
Sorry for the very late reply. Unfortunately, I can't do the repair as I'm not that fit anymore and I have nowhere to do repairs myself. Although I've still got the car, I haven't been able to drive it since she failed the MOT. Recently, there was a change in our circumstances and I will be buying another car in the next 2 or 3 weeks, probably either a 207cc or a 308cc.

I bought my 206cc for under £500 4 years ago so she lasted longer than I thought she would. At the age of 20, she's the oldest car I've ever had and I'm quite attached to her. It's not going to be easy scrapping her but it's not cost effective to maybe only get another year out of her. Apart from the axle she also needed a new exhaust, new tyre as the offside rear was scuffing against the wheel arch due to the axle being worn. She had a few other faults as well including needing new hydraulic struts on the boot. They never worked from day one so never used the boot.

I will certainly miss the old girl.

Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

I bought my car during the winter to give me something to do. I have spent about £1000 on it and i payed £1000 for it so not a cheap car. However it was bought to renovate so i am happy. I am no longer young (78) so i will make the most of the car over the summer. I hope you find something nice to suit you. After having a car for a while you will miss not having one.

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Ronnie wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:46 pm I bought my car during the winter to give me something to do. I have spent about £1000 on it and i payed £1000 for it so not a cheap car. However it was bought to renovate so i am happy. I am no longer young (78) so i will make the most of the car over the summer. I hope you find something nice to suit you. After having a car for a while you will miss not having one.
I'm 65 and have mobility issues now thanks to injuring my back quite badly during the first lockdown. I'm only 5ft zero, under 7st and had to try and lift my 7st elderly German Shepherd with my son who's not much bigger than me (he's had ill health all his life) as the vets were forbidden to do house calls. Our dog collapsed in the back of the car and got stuck between the front and back seats. I was forbidden to be with him while he was PTS and for that I will never forgive this government as it's now come out that the lockdowns were both unnecessary and useless.

Since November the only times I have been out of my house is going over to my music teacher (practicing for Grade 8 piano and, hopefully Diplomas next year) every fortnight. By taxi a £28 round trip. I've been a virtual prisoner in my own home. Getting another car gives me my freedom and independence back.

When I was young I used to help my brother-in-law fix cars. Learned a lot from him. I wanted to be a mechanic but got told by my parents "Girls don't do that!" Nowadays, no-one would bat an eyelid at a lady mechanic.

Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Life can be very cruel, and all we can do is accept what we have as best we can. In a way we are lucky as we manage to survive quite well on the UK pension. At least i can still enjoy my car. I must also say i am very surprised at how good the 206cc 1.6 petrol is. It also has a nice turn of speed. I am comparing this with the main car a Corsa 1.4 which is dead compared to the Peugeot. Keep well and i hope everything turns out right for you.

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Ronnie wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:00 am Life can be very cruel, and all we can do is accept what we have as best we can. In a way we are lucky as we manage to survive quite well on the UK pension. At least i can still enjoy my car. I must also say i am very surprised at how good the 206cc 1.6 petrol is. It also has a nice turn of speed. I am comparing this with the main car a Corsa 1.4 which is dead compared to the Peugeot. Keep well and i hope everything turns out right for you.
My 206cc was a 2L petrol and even though she was old, she could move like the proverbial off the end of a shovel.

Before I got her, I had an older Corsa which I hated but it got me to and from work at the time. If stuck in traffic, it frequently decided to stop. Had to leave it for at least 10 minutes and it would start again. It also leaked every time it rained. Horrible thing. When the scrappy came to take it away my parting shot to it was "Good riddance!".